SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.iceteks.com

I'd like to get a review of my site:

http://www.iceteks.com

All of the site is fully custom code all done in winsyntax (a text editor a bit more advanced then notepad). The forum is the only part that's not custom, but there's tons of custom code (php and html) that went into it as well.

So let me know what you all think of it in terms of features and layout, thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, it all seems to be well balanced, I like the header colour, but not sure about the right side graphics up there, they IMHO look rushed and slapped on, I would think of changing this and moving it over to the default side, left, well done and good luck.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback!

Actually putting the logo there was to make it different, since yeah usually it's left. The empty space will one day have some ads, whenever I actually get around to coding a rotator and advertiser system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the logo on the left side is a standard... Don't redesign the wheel if you don't have to... I really find my self lost on your site because the logo is in such an odd place...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it makes that much of a difference? lol It could be changed, but I justlike that round cicle effect with the blue, but nothing stops me from reproducing it on the other side though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always one for trying new things and trying to be different, but there are certain standards you just can't break away from.

I would have the logo on the left, It just looks abit off the way it is now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me there is too much text all over the place. Not that lots of text is a bad thing...but it seems too busy for me..for example the "recent searches" looks too cluttered. For the rest it looks nice
    Maarten

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've been adding tons of text and links, but that's as bad as it will get. The reason is that it gives more material for google to index.

orange pips! orange pips!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, way too much text on this site. It's making everything cluttered and hard to follow. The color choices are adding to the confusion a little too, at least on my end. Dark blue with black text with a dull grey background are making things run together. I think you need more color seperation, different fonts, etc.

You're index page seems to run on forever. I would recommend a way to shorten it to just a few articles and link to the rest of the articles elsewhere.

Also, I would think you would want your dedicated business site to be at www.iceteks.com instead of at services.iceteks.com. If I go to a business site I expect to find that at the www... URL and then find the community at a subdomain address. Having your community address be the www... is kinda misleading.

Along with the subdomain issue I just mentioned, the fact that you have your www... with a banner of a vomitting pumpkin doesn't promote the ideal of users actually going to your business website. Seems slightly childish and I wouldn't visit your business site expecting to find "real" services.

SitePoint Enthusiast gadget-girl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general layout is nice. But, I agree with msiruit. It feels too busy for me too. I was overwhelmed with all the text.

From a marketing aspect, your logo is an important branding of your company and should always be displayed on the left. The halloween images over your logo is hiding your branding.

I can understand your need to be indexed on Google. What keyword phrases are you targeting? I noticed you have icetek, ice, tek, as your first few keywords. It would be better to have terms that people would use to search for your type of site. Like, "Tech Community Forum", "Tech Forum", "Technology Forum", etc. Maybe also consider changing your page titles to. Just a suggestion.

Just so you know, I was viewing your site with Mac OS X with Firefox 1.0. Thanks for listening.

Cheers,
    gadget-girl

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks good but alot hits you as soon as you hit the home page. I like the color scheme and think the design looks great. Keep it up, I like it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the general layout is fine. very content heavy which is good. you are an information resource.

I think your site would benefit from css color/graphic management. Mainly your site could use a more descriptive logo. Also, i would suggest no obscuring the site name with graphics.

I've attached an image that might help you out. I've created a logo for your site and modified the header to include a slogan. Also, there is slight image overly of ice to help drive the name home.

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...with a banner of a vomitting pumpkin doesn't promote the ideal of users actually going to your business website. Seems slightly childish and I wouldn't visit your business site expecting to find "real" services.
    no offence, but have to agree there...
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

orange pips! orange pips!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I didn't mean to offend you Red Squirrel with that comment in my review post. Just pointing out some business issues I thought you would like to know.

PS. When I first came to your site and saw the pumpkin, I laughed pretty heartily. Never saw that photo before and I'm going to be doing that pumpkin carving for Halloween this year. I just don't think it's good to have that on a site that's for a business. Just my opinion though. I've been wrong many times in the past. :-)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know if you are like me, but first impression is key. First thoughts into my head. Puking pumking...expected a joke site. Then I thought...busy....font fest. Maybe a more professional logo? Also look at write a style sheet or something to keep those fonts under control. The text might not look so busy if it was more standardized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend centering your website and putting your website in a fixed width table. Your website is all spread out on my laptop. Stay away from the sick logos. Makes your site look very unprofessional :-(

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched the logo to the left. As for the pumkin and business site link, the only reason that link is there is in case someone does a search for Iceteks looking for my business and lands on my non business site. But on my business card and such I advertise services.iceteks.com.

I sort of do like google and change my logo on special occasions.

As for the non-fixed width it's the way I chose to have it, mostly because I sometimes post huge pictures on the front page. Since I have a large enoguh audience in terms of reselutions I don't want to force people with insanely huge reselutions to have 2 huge bars beside the site, while 640*480 can't even view it. So the way it is now, it will work in virtually any reselution. Though anything lower then 800*600 might not look as good because of the huge header.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the logo is nice and you have strong content, but the front page is too overwhelming and cluttered. You may want to dumb it down some or minimize it. I think that one shouldn't have to scroll (much) on the first page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that you actually described the site right at the top. It surprises me how many websites fail to do that and you have to take a few minutes to actually figure out what the site is about! (if you stay that long!)

Good job!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Yeah I did not have a description before then figured it's not a bad idea to have one, especially if someone accidentally lands on the site they'l know what it's about and may be interested.

The front page I can agree on there's tons of stuff. For now it's staying that way, but I'll probably eventually do something better. It's mostly to increase my PR since having links such as searches and articles really improves things.

SitePoint Enthusiast Darklightmw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall very good, but the banner is terrible! I know that you were going for a christmas theme or whatever, but don't sacrifice your design for it! Based on the rest of you site I know you can do better! The red and green contrast noisily not to mention the fact that it doesnt go with any of the rest of your page. Make more of a winter banner, with snow and blue sky and stuff that matches your site! Overall I can tell you're good at what you do, keep it up!
    where are the snowdens of yesteryear?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, yeah well my main plan was to go overboard for christmas so I did. Though I'm doing it by only editing images and CSS so that it will be easy to switch back to normal after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i agree with Darklightmw, the banner gives me a headache. I think that an overall color scheme change would spice things up. Your code looks pretty clean though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice

I like it ... but there are some things I will touich on...

1) The banner with all the lines has got me sick... (but nic banner though)
    2) The sides and the logo are awesome incorparate this more in your banner bg
    3) Better images in the center instead of just plain red and such, go a little extravagent
    4) limit your site to 3 or 4 main colors

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah with a background like the lines it's tricky to put fixed images because it won't tile the same on all reselutions.

Though I will look into making the corner different since it does look too busy now that it's been mentioned.

Normally the header is just blue but it's an exception for Christmas