SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Code to disable malicious form submittions

I would like to use Php 4.3.9 to prevent my form from being submitted 100s times.

How can I set up sessions or cookies or both to let users submit the form once per a certain amount of time?

P

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Code:
    if($_POST["submit"]) {
    header("Location: index.php");

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THe simple way is just using JavaScript that will disable your submit button after its being clicked.

If you want to be protected against users with disabled JavaScript, you can use cookies and IP method, so you set a cookie and then check if it's set, if so, then the form has been already submitted, but users can still disable cookies. As for the IP methhod, you get the users's IP, store it somewhere (DB, XML etc.) and then check if there's that IP in your database, but people can use anonynous proxies, so several peole have the same IP or use dial-up and they have dynamic IP, so their IP change from connection to connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Equallay, they could set up a PHP script to feed data to your script by forging POST headers and sending a couple of thousand a second to your site. Your options include the "type in what you see in this image unless your blind" technique, or some form of "limit of 10 submissions a minute" per IP, or some other solution.

Douglas
    Hello World

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way would be to store the form information in a database, and not allow the exact same information to be submited again. So it would be possible to have a bot submit random stuff, but if you combine this with an IP/cookie check it makes it that much harder. (bots will most likely be programmed to ingore cookies though).

I think vB uses this method to avoid people from doubleposting.