User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP CMS - Log-In system...

Hi people,

I've almost finished making a CMS in PHP, all that's left is the code for logging people in... ie. you have to enter a username and password to access the CMS, so that not just anyone can go on and change the content of the site.

How would everyone recommend I go about programming this? Sessions, cookies, HTaccess?

What's the easiest, quickest, securist, best-est way?

I would be greatly appreciative of any opinions.

Cheers,
    eman

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far from an advanced topic, none the less you might want to look at Harry's anphology articles here at sitepoint, as there is an access/login feature around page 14/15 if I remember.

If you want to protect your CMS content you may want to implement a role based privelege system of which there are a few available freely. Try Google to see what that returns for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are talking about rudimentary authorization. You either let people change a site or not. The username/password login is the authentication part. You want to verify someone's identity, and the quickest, easiest way is not the most secure. Security and easy/quick are usually different ends of a seesaw.
    Your easiest way is to use someone's login code. You might check phpclasses.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can use sessions for storing some users details during a session and cookies for automatical loggin-in on visiting your site next time.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my security panel login (to view logs, block user etc...) I use sessions.

Basically when someone goes on that page, it checks if the user has a cookie, if he does, it checks if the content (session) matches with the one in the database, if yes it shows the requested page.

If not it shows the login screen, and when a user logs in, it compares the MD5 value of the entered password with the MD5 one in the db, if it matches then it produces a random session hash. I did not calculate but the way it's setup the ods of it being the same as an other is very slim. It even MD5's the user's IP address in that pr ocess, along with a bunch of random numbers. It's like a big salad of random values just MD5ed together. Then that hash is stored in the database for that user, and in a cookie.

So it's a pretty secure system and there's tons of security checks. If someone tries to guess the (25 char) password and get it wrong they're blocked from the system.

For a public login, you'd want to give something like 3 tries then lock them out for a certain ammount of time, but for my particular system, me and the site staff are the one ones that use it and the password is part of the link to the login page. (not something I'd do on a public network).

Logins are fairly easy to make, they just require lot of thinking from a hacker's point of view to figure out ways to bypass it, since you want to block all those ways.

Sessions are probably the best since even if someone steals your cookie, it won't be good by the time they get it.

A step further would to be enter a randomly generated code to login, so it can't be brute forced.