SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast aplusdesigners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Kevin Yank!

I was having alot of trouble installing MySQL by following Kevin's method in the Build You Own Dynamic Site using MySQL and PHP book. So I came on here and looked and noticed that Kevin had posted a change to the method from when I bought my book. SO I followed his directions and it worked. If you need to see his post it is located here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24811

Anyways, the only problem I ran into was that the current 4.0.X version of MySQL has changed one file. In Kevin's update he calls it safe_mysqld which is probably correct for 3.0.x but it is mysqld_safe in the 4.0.x version. But hey it was no big deal since I knew how to do a ls in my Linux enviroment.

Again, Thanks Kev for such a wonderful book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, it's probably advisable to read over the MySQL installation instructions in Build Your Own Dynamic Site using MySQL and PHP, then put them aside and use them as a cross-reference as you follow the MySQL.com instructions.

As you've noted, the instructions are subject to version-to-version change, so it is difficult to keep up.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Enthusiast aplusdesigners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but sam, I really like Kevin's way because it takes you from the tarball source and thats the way I like to do things on my *nix machine. I just love to compile stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Kevin Yank's writting style too.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Kev got me through setting up Tomcat a couple of times thanks to his articles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the 3rd edition of my book has just been released, the currently-published installation instructions in the article are completely up-to-date with PHP 4.3/5.0 and MySQL 4.0. Let me know if you run into any problems with these.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference