SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does linking correlate with PR and traffic?

Can anyone clarify this: Does having links generate more traffic and raise your PR, even if the site you are linking to has low traffic?
    Can you actually have a high PR site that has low traffic? In other words, does traffic correlate linearly with PR ? Thanks everyone.
    Tina
    Wedding Favors Gifts - Wedding favors gifts presents
    Submit your link / resource to our directory.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traffic carries no relationship to PR. PR is determined solely by the number of links, the PR of the pages they originate from, and the number of outgoing links on those pages. Traffic depends on how many people click the links to visit you.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, one misconception it seems you have - PR is from people linking TO you not from you linking to them... The number of high-traffic sites that link TO your website create high PR (and visitors for that matter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin
    Traffic carries no relationship to PR. PR is determined solely by the number of links, the PR of the pages they originate from, and the number of outgoing links on those pages. Traffic depends on how many people click the links to visit you.
    Yes, that's true. But surely the more (quality) links you have (which is what PR is a measure of), then the more visitors you are likely to have. I think there can be a correlation, but there are of course plenty of exceptions to the rule (eg. a site with no PR advertised on TV could get a lot of traffic).

Aaron

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most traffic comes from search engines - and higher PR pages tend to rank better on difficult keywords, therefore higher PR pages in general would have higher traffic.

It's possible for a page to be on a topic that few people search for therefore it wouldn't attract much traffic. It could still have high PR from having several high PR inbound links.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueveil
    Can you actually have a high PR site that has low traffic?
    Yes.

But, of course it depends on how you define "high PR" and "low traffic".
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site has PR 5. But my traffic is only a trickle (eg, 5 per day..). Any reason what could have gone wrong?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably because PR doesn't have anything to do with the amount of traffic you receive. PR does not mean people are coming to your site. The two have nothing in common other than coincidence.

PR is just some way for Google to rate the relevancy of your site. Other than that, it's pretty much useless. You should focus on ways to generate traffic, like ppc and search engines, advertising, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend adding more content pages.
    Peter T Davis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were pursuing a site like yours, I'd start by adding more artists, then adding an individual page for each artwork each artist has made. Once you get into the thousdands of content pages, the PR5 should be enough to get your site indexed and traffic should start flowing. Just make sure you have a good internal link structure, and continue to work on building backlinks.
    Peter T Davis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,

You mean adding their artwork with a brief review? Currently, the problem I have is getting pictures of those artwork, else I think your idea is a good one

As for adding more artists, I will add on more once I have added enough content for these 5. Its taking a hell of a time writing articles...