SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were setting up a email discussion group (not just a newsletter), which list service would you use? Topica or yahooGroups (used to be eGroups, but Yahoo sucked 'em in). Or is there another option that you would go with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Topica overall better. I use them religiously for newsletters, but I haven't used them for discussion lists. I would recommend Topica because they have outstanding support and their features are second to none.

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you be more specific as to what is better about Topica?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by StateDOG
    Can you be more specific as to what is better about Topica?
    I liked specifically how you can add subscribers manually to your list. I also like how they feature member newsletters. I just like how things work there.

This is my 2000th post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your benchmark post I'm still working on my first 500

Anyway, even though my Topica newsletters have yet to become active (only signed up recently, and haven't even opened the sites they're on as of yet) the features look really great, and I'm looking forward to using the service when my newsletters begin going out several times a week in the near future

Anyway, for any who already use Topica, I was wondering if you've had any success with their 'credit' system, where you can either earn money, or promote your newsletter in other topica newsletters by using these credits.

The promotion aspect looks really interesting, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me of their experiences with it (and I think i it'd be of interest to StateDOG too anyway)

thanks,

jer
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I set up a Topica account to handle a newsletter and had several technical problems. The customer service rep told me "found the problem, now its fixed" about 4 times, each time it was NOT fixed. I finally had to give up and I went with a script instead.

I am in many YahooGroups discussion groups. More or less they are OK. My biggest complaint is that some messages seem to get hung up in their system so that you receive some older messages before the newer ones. And if you need tech support, forget it. They continually email back references to an FAQ or some other automated means of helping you, instead of actually listening to your problem.
    Ted