User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge gap in layout when using IE

Hi!
    I have quite strange problem with the new website that I'm working on and I can't figure out what causes the problem. I haven't found solution from the forums either. The layout works (almost) correctly with mozilla and opera, but not in IE. The problem is that if I have much material (images for example) in the main section of the page and I move the mouse over the menubars sometimes the main section moves down from tens to hundreds of pixels
    (revealing grey background) depending the height of the middle element, in some cases resizing window or opening a new link causes the same problem.

I use overflow to create a scrollbar to the right side if material doesn't fit in the space that I have defined for it (800*435 pixels). I don't use iframe for main section because i had trouble to get Tigra menu working with it when using mozilla and opera.

The image-gallery page can be found from the address http://users.utu.fi/mjhonk/galleria/index.php
    The problem shows when using IE and choosing almost any folder but especially with folders with large amount of images (eg wappu 2004).

I produce scrolling with the following code in the default.css style sheet:

.over {height: 435px; overflow: auto; overflow-x: hidden; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-top: auto; width: 800px;
    }

Any suggestions?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have came to conclusion that it is better to choose an alternate way to build layout for my webpage, so no help is needed anymore.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to find a solution after all. The problem was that I had used margins to ensure the div placement was right. When I removed the margins overflow worked the way it should have with IE also.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.