User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help needed with basic php/asp page

Hi,

my background is html. i was given a project to do with something similar to this
    http://www.efonica.com/intl/eng/rates.asp
    or
    http://www.livewire.cc/LowRates.php

users can select the countries to call and upon clicking submit; they get to know the phone rate. However, The pricing plans would be different for my webpage.

i copied and paste the source script from the website and pasted into dreamweaver but when i click submit, it leads to an empty page. any ideas how does asp or php work? must i link them to a database? i'm not sure how does database works?

Thanks in advance

Uplift

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you should leave it to someone who DOES know PHP or ASP. You can't just copy the source of a web page and make it work. PHP/ASP scripts are run on a server and what you see is just result of running those scripts. You also need a web server with PHP installed.

This subject is too complex to be explained in single forum post, so my sincere advice is to leave it to someone else.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uplift678
    i copied and paste the source script from the website and pasted into dreamweaver but when i click submit, it leads to an empty page. any ideas how does asp or php work? must i link them to a database? i'm not sure how does database works?
    Uplift
    ASP/PHP/Cold Fusion are server side processing languages. Basically, there is an engine running on the web server that takes the page, and translates it into a displayable HTML page.

So, the script that you copied from the page is the output after it has been "translated" from the original code. If you aren't even sure how a database works, this is going to be past your abilities at this point. Ask around on here for a coder than can help you with it. You'll find some.

Aodhan