SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pages Shifting in Firefox and Opera

I am having a problem with pages shifting, that for the life of me, I cannot figure out. On some pages, the main container/frame sits in one place and then on other pages it seems to slide over about a half inch.

Here are two test pages, where one shifts, the other doesn't:

http://www.basketshop.com/misc/contact.php

http://www.basketshop.com/news/index.php

The shift seems to occur when a "div" tag is used within the main content area, which is within <td id="content">.....</td>.

The shifting happens in the latest versions of Opera and Firefox, but not IE.

If anyone could take a peak at my pages for something I am missing, I would be greatful.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tested it in the latest versions of Firefox, IE, Opera, didn't notice any shift. Perhaps what you're seeing is that the page is being shifted when the scrollbar appears for the longer news page, whereas the contact page doesn't extend past the bottom of the window (at my resolution) and therefore has no scrollbar. Since you're using auto margins for centering the container automatically shifts a bit when a scrollbar appears and disappears to keep the margins equal on each side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks nix112! You were right. I totally didn't think of that and I was looking for the wrong thing for hours! I am using a resolution of 1280 x 1024, so some short pages are not going to need scrollbars. The reason I didn't notice the shift in IE is that IE always has a space for the scrollbar - when it is not needed it is grayed out.

Since I know this will only happen on a few very short pages and for people using a high resolution, I guess I can live with that effect if I have to. By any chance do you know if there is a way to avoid the shifting? I use auto margins because that seems to be the standard way to center a fixed-width layout.
    Last edited by frankdux; Oct 18, 2004 at 09:23.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    By any chance do you know if there is a way to avoid the shifting
    Only by forcing the vertical scrollbar at all times.(e.g. html {min-height:100.1%}
    )

paul