SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Panhandle of Florida (White Sand/Brown Skin)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you go to www.bebe.com
    it is suppose to load a page with a model on it.... Its a clothes store online.

but instead... its loading a black screen with a strange paragraph on it, talking about fake idols and that they need to be killed. (DEFINITELY NOT part of the website...)

well then if you simply type in index.html... the page that is SUPPOSE to load does.

So if the index.html is what its suppose to be, then how is the black screen coming up?
    what could they have named the black screen to get it to load over an index.html?

i tried typing in welcome.htm and html
    and default.htm and html....

when i type in default.html it starts loading a blank page over and over and over again... weird stuff

can anyone explain any of this to me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could have used a .htaccess file to define the default page (I think)
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
    DCE
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like they were haX0red!

However, I just went there and it seems to be back to normal. Well at least I have no complaints about what I'm seeing on the home page

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact it sounds like a very prankish kind of hack and that they deliberately didn't take down any files. That happened to a friend of mine recently. Everything was intact, but they were able to replace the main page for a while.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i would definitely say it was a hack...

makes me curious how he managed it though...
    its obvious that he wasnt trying to harm anything...

I know basically nothing about hacking... makes it difficult to protect yourself heh.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm
    just out of curiosity, I went back to bebe.com and the same page loads up still..

but whats even weirder is that on another computer (Win NT) when i type in bebe.com... it loads up their index.html like it is suppose to..

now that is something I dont understand...

And has anyone typed in "default.html" on their site?
    it starts loading over and over again...
    does anyone know why that might be?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. Very weird. When it happened with my friend's site it was at the server level. It was the web host that was hacked, apparently, rather than just his site. But one really weird thing happened with that. I have his site bookmarked as one of the Links on IE, so it's right on the browser. It's been there for a long time. After the hacking happened the description when you put the mouse over it changed to what the hacker had on the site. I never changed it, so even now if you mouse over that link it says "This site has been defaced by Dr-Hacker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, its not that weird. You can configure the default page of a folder to anything you want and also multiple things at once. For instance, with IIS, you can have an ordered set of default pages and which ever one listed first (that exists) is what is shown. For instance, for my infinetSoftware site, instead of using "default" or "index", I named my default page "template.asp", so I my default pages are, in order:

template.asp
    default.htm
    default.html
    index.htm
    index.html

On that site someone (probably a malicious hacker) just changed the default page to the file they made.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but if they simply changed the default settings to "hackpage.htm" or whatever...
    wouldnt that apply to all clients who connected to the server to view the site?

as in... I connect to bebe.com on my Windows Me puter and hackpage.htm comes up (since its the default).

I then connect on a Windows NT puter and go to bebe.com and it too should load hackpage.htm since the default is set to that...

As for win 98 95 etc etc...
    but for some reason that is not the case with this...

And its not just my NT puter, because I have talked to others who run NT and when they go to bebe.com, they are not able to view the hacked page... instead they too get the index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone else seen this except you? Have you run a virus and trojan scan on your computer lately?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just checked it out.

http://www.bebe.com ---------------------- works like it should
    http://www.bebe.com/default.html ---------- just keeps reloading continuously

all that default.html contains is this :

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    btw, i'm looking at it on a PIII 450 mhz, win2k, cable modem. and i couldn't tell you why default.html is doing what it's doing. maybe bebe's working the admin a little too hard and he/she needs to take a break or something.

there's a million possible reasons why default.html is looping. perhaps if someone was kind enough to report it to the webmaster, it might get fixed (hint, hint -SeFu-)
    . . . chris

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gthorley... what OS are you running?
    I believe I made it pretty clear that if your running an NT or 2k OS you probably would not see it...

Judging by some of the messages posted, i assume that others have seen the page i was talking about.

In any case, other friends of mine have seen it so i know its not my computer with any type of a virus...

yea I contacted the webmaster yesterday just in case someone hasnt already mentioned it to him/her, but didnt mention the looping default.html page.