User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link Titles, Alt Tags - Detrimental?

Hi,

I'm fairly well-read when it comes to SEO, but rather inexperienced when it comes to implementing these various techniques. I have a couple of questions

First, lets take one of my sites: http://www.xgameservers.com

It's been around for a few years now and has PR 5 and is listed in DMOZ, but has a measly 29 backlinks... I'm definitely looking to increase this figure, but my question is in regards to anchored links, their titles, and image alt tags. (BTW - I'm targeting game servers, gaming servers, and game server hosting for my keywords) *EDIT: I should also mention that my site was on page 3 for game servers and is on page 2 for gaming servers. It recently moved to page 6 after I changed something :X

As you can see, the site is pretty graphic-heavy, and there are a number of image-links on the home page that ping our various servers, etc. I was thinking that a title specification could be put in these <a> tags like, "ping our Atlanta game servers", etc.

I hesitate because, if I implement this, I will have 16 very similar title tags that differ by a word or two just by doing the ping and trace buttons. Would google penalyze this?

Also: there are quite a few images, and I've heard that every image should have an ALT tag (not just to be standards compliant...). Is this reasonable for the amount of images my site contains?

Thanks for any advice you could offer and sorry for the long post

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use link titles and image alt tags and use them properly. They promote accessiblity. You will not be penalized for this. Now, if you stuff them with keywords, you won't gain much, if anything, as these have been devalued by search engines because of keyword spamming. Just do the right thing by using them properly. If you get a boost in ranking that's great and you don't have to worry about being penalized.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, come on people. Titles, headers, alt tags, title tags, and CSS are for ACCESSIBILITY. Not SEO. If they're properly used (as in used for accessibility), your SE rankings will turn out appropriately.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading one of aspen's articles, so thanks for your lecture...