SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on a site right now that is using a dhtml drop down menu. My only problem is that this particular menu only works properly on IE5+. As any good site designer knows, this is a problem. Regardless of the Netscape issue, there are still many people using IE4.

I want the ability to offer my site to as many people as possible, but for the sake of navigation - I need to keep this dhtml menu.

Here's where my dilemma lies... Do I hunt around the net for a better, cross-browser drop down menu? Or do I use some Javascript to find out what browser the visitor is using and if they can't view dhtml, send them to another layout?

I don't know dhtml very well at all, so writing my own menu is far beyond my capabilities. If I go with the Javascript detection, the alternate layout would obviously be designed to offer the utmost in usability.

Why do I call this a moral conflict? I haven't done much design work in several months (working on my MCSE) and when I was designing oh so long ago, I was a huge advocate of usability and cross-browser support. I'd like to keep this wonderful dhtml menu (it vastly improves navigation and usability for this particular site), but I want to provide my other visitors with a site of equal quality to the dhtml version.

What's the de facto standard (in webdesign, this seems to be an oxymoron) for situations like this? All of my other code is HTML 4.0 Transitional compliant, it's just this pesky drop down menu that ruins the site for visitors using anything other than IE5+.

I'd really appreciate any input the Sitepoint community has to offer.

Thanks in advance,
    Dizcovry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that you should get another DHTML menu that's more browser friendly

Dynamic Drive has a few dhtml menus and they tell you which browsers they work with (all/ie/ns etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a fantastic, cross-browser compatible drop-down menu can be had at http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/column51/

compatible back to NS 4.0
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go get dhtml menu builder

http://software.xfx.net

it'll create menus supported by ie, netscape, mozilla, and opera.
    and it does a lot more! you odn't need to know the programing languages involved. just the knowledge to know windows application usage!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein