User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*html * html question

Is it just me or does * html not work. I find that it doesn't work and I have to use *html (with no space). But it doesn't validate that way. Anyone else experience this, or is it just me?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you using this for?

The only user agent which recognizes * html is Internet Explorer. IE thinks that there is some magical wrapper around html and thus * html actually means something to IE.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using it to specify css for only IE...

but like I said earlier,
    if I put a space between * html it doesn't seem to work, but if I leave the space out *html...it seems to work...maybe I am confused. I try so many things sometimes that I do tend to get confused...so * html (with the space) works for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the "star html hack" as it's known works only when there is a space between the * and html.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

if I put a space between * html it doesn't seem to work, but if I leave the space out *html...it seems to work...maybe I am confused. I try so many things sometimes that I do tend to get confused...so * html (with the space) works for you?
    As far as my tests have shown star html works with a space and without a space (in ie6). However its only validates with a space and thats the way you should use it
    Code:
    * html
    I have found this hack to be the safest of all hacks and recommend it above others as it supplies ie the values it needs without bothering good browsers.

If you have an instance where it doesn't work then its probably an error in your coding at some other stage. If you have an example then we can have a look see

Paul