SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Advices and helps are needed for my project of developing an e-commerce websites

Hi there. I'm a university student currently in my final year. I am required to develop an Online Food Ordering System (similarly to Pizza Hut but it is without a physical store) as my Final Year Project in order for me to graduate. Basically, this system needs to have a very intuitive and user-friendly interface. The transaction steps needs to flow smoothly. The site must provides reasonable features and navigation control. Information regarding orders can be entered and can easily be modified. These information must be captured into the customer database (including the transaction history and customer profile). Besides, the system also needs to calculate the total cost of ordered items. This enables the customers to budget their meals before placing their orders. For more description about the site which I plan to develop, I've attached the proposal with this message.

Well, my question is what languages and approaches should I use? I am familiar with XHTML, Javascript, Visual Basic and SQL queries. However, I am out of idea what I should use to develop this system. Should I use asp or asp.net? Or is there any other alternatives that best suits me according to the knowledge that I have? Some even told me to use JSP...Damn, I'm now so confused. Can somebody please give me some advice before I start failing my project? I just can't decide what should I used best to start developing this website.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~*Jo@nN3*~

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should use technology you are most familiar with. For example if you have Visual Basic, SQL Server experience then you should consider using ASP or ASP .Net. The learning time for ASP will be very short as you are familiar with VB. Visit ASP101.com, they have very simple and easy to understand ASP code samples, you may already find most of the code you want to use in your application at that site. Be creative and modify code according to your requirements. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're familiar with PHP at all then there are several open source shopping cart packages that you might be able to get some ideas from. Oscommerce is one that I've used.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scrivener
    If you're familiar with PHP at all then there are several open source shopping cart packages that you might be able to get some ideas from. Oscommerce is one that I've used.
    Hmm, I would have thought the idea was to program it from scratch.