SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Increasing the number of pages vs link popularity

When evaluating SEO services, I've noticed that a majority suggests creating new , highly optimised pages (1 per keyword) and interlinking them etc.

Can these pages realistically compete for keywords with any value?
    Should we be optimising the home page for the most competitive keyword possible and focusing on a few pages where we can be competitive.

Would the extra (say 50 pages) require 50 link building efforts, which seems to be diluting the effort.

Are these SEOs targeting, a large number of tiny trickles of traffic, in which case I can see the reasoning.

Similarly, I understand that more and quality content is a good thing, but if you're a sales site (a shop effectively) there is a cost to producing all this content.

Lastly is there a risk to what may be seen as doorway pages, and where do you draw the line?

Basically I'm asking: should I focus on optimising a few pages for very competitive keywords or many for low value ones (or both). Which would you spend time, effort and money on first?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just focus on a maximum of 2 keywords per page. As many pages as you can...
    Maarten

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doorway pages, which shouldn't be used anyways, can be linked to from the homepage and they'd be getting their PR that way.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aspen: Do you write text for your sites, or do you find alternative ways of getting content. I noticed your sites have tons of content, where and how do you get it all?

Brett

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have more pages, you'll likely have steady traffic. I'll be little nervous if I count all my traffic on a few pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dejaone
    If you have more pages, you'll likely have steady traffic. I'll be little nervous if I count all my traffic on a few pages.
    I think that really depends on how well your pages are optimized and the links pointing to it. Yes, having more pages is better but I don't think there is anything wrong with having a small number....Matter of preference I guess
    Maarten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msiruit
    having more pages is better but I don't think there is anything wrong with having a small number....Matter of preference I guess
    Google love big sites with more content....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that I get a greater amount of traffic on my sites that have more pages. I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting more Pr from the greater number of pages or if its because I have more pages which have their own specific keywords. A bit of both I guess.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making lots of pages is what I call brute force SEO. With so much content you're bound to rank well for atleast some phrases and you'll get enough traffic with your multitude of mediocre listings that you'll do quite well. This is what most datafeed driven sites rely on.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aspen, good point. I believe google generates a profile for each site. The size of a site (# of pages) is one of very important factors in determining SERPs among on-page factors and relevant backlinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dejaone
    The size of a site (# of pages) is one of very important factors in determining SERPs
    I highly doubt it. SERPs are web pages, not web sites. Although lots of pages can help you generate PR and thus improve your ranking (but that's a different issue), the sole fact that a site has 10000000 pages is not a factor in determining rankings.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confusing

Our content has focused on consumer oriented items like pricing and pictures. It would be impossible to optimize for more than a few terms on our home page as the search terms vary.

We have been advised to build severl different category landing pages for relevant terms. That page would feature the relevant product we sell with lots of content relevant to this term.

Is that considered a gateway or improper page?

We are also told that the spiders interlink and factor in our entire content in evaluating our site.

One thing we noticed with other sites is that they have static pages interlinking within their site. Reverse google link searches reveal that most of their links are internal yet Google counts those as links. We don't do that yet it appears to help our competitors.

much of our over 500 page site is dynamically generated so we have only two levels or about 10 static pages so interlinking like this, in addition to striking us as ossibly breaking rules, would be difficult.

Clarification would help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creating pages optimized for specific keywords is ok, as long as they have relevant content.

Internal links count, they are not against the rules, and, as far as I know, there's no difference if it's a static or a dynamic page.