SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't visited the main Yahoo website in months (years!) as I rely on personalizing *MyYahoo* as my homepage with all the specific world news & web news to weather from Dundee (my grandma was born there) to Chicago (my sister's home) ~ keeping me always informed on the current happenings! I can color coordinate *MyYahoo* to my hearts content for the look that I want and change it frequently.....And as I primarily use Yahoo email (the most reliable that I have found), it prompts me when I have new mail!

As far as the main Yahoo site goes, it is far too cluttered for me to use as I don't need or want all the categories that they have listed. I search the old fashion way to find what I want~~keying in the subject text!

I also began with Yahoo like many others, but now if I don't find what I want from using the Yahoo search first, I just go to another search engine! There are too many search engines & directories now to rely on just one.....
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I like Google a lot to and also Dmoz. But I don't agree with Yahoos new methods. I don't think that businesses and such should have to pay for listings. I mean, the viewers are supposed to find the BEST pages, not the pages people payed for to be on there. I know that the sites are still reviewed but still, not everyone will pay that fee! I won't unless I need to, thats for sure. Just gotta switch to using Dmoz more

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo's image-map at the top is the only thing i dislike there.
    And i don't think that imagemaps are compatible with every browser, just how does Yahoo look on Lynx ?
    Oh, you see the destinations of the links, but can you guess www.yahoo.com/r/m1 is a link to yahoo!mail ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most of the people don't agree with me, but let me tell you why I don't like Yahoo. First, it is the same all the time and I've seen lot's of directorys and portals that have changed their design and still have many visitors. All of you who are complaining about Altavista are saying that it is losing visitors. Well I can't agree with that, because I see alot of people everyday who use Altavista. None of them uses Yahoo. However now that Altavista changed it's design it is very similar to Yahoo!'s and I don't like it either. I agree that Yahoo! is mostly for beginners and lots of experienced surfers use it too, but not because it is simple, not because it is legible, not because Yahoo! knows who their users are, but because it was one of the first portals. And most of the people know it. And most of the people think it is good. Well in my opinion it is not. The entire page is blue! I mean the links. These kinds of links are ugly. And their logo - crispy. They've probably not heard of anti-aliasing yet. And then that junk at the bottom of the page(Local Yahoos and More Yahoos). And then their policy.
    I agree with Creole, who I think is right about what he said about the beauty on the web.

Have a nice day
    M

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mh8759, my opinion doesn't agree with yours

I stopped using AltaVista when Google came along. Firstly, because AltaVista has become bloated IMNSHO. It is only a search engine, and all I care about is finding the web sites that most closely match what I'm searching for - nothing else. Even though I'm on a [slow 256bps] cable connection I still find it irritating that the AltaVista page contains fifteen (15) graphics plus a banner ad. Why? Because they are useless to me and therefore only hinder the usability of the site as far as I am concerned. Secondly, Google has a much better indexing method - but thats beside the point because we are talking design.

I also believe that maintaining the conventional blue colour and underlining for hyperlinked text is just plain sensible. Just as a red traffic light means "STOP" universally, so blue underlined text means "Click here and you'll go somewhere else". Lets remember that search engines and directory such as Google, Yahoo or AltaVista want to cater for 100% of the market. Their audience will comprise people who are using the internet for the first time! What is the first thing you teach to someone who has never used the internet before? I'ts how to use a search engine. This also means they need to cater for type of connection from T3 right down to the poor sucker who is stuck on a 14 Kbps or a very slow intranet.

They are that fundamental and they must be designed to match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    simple is good.

I have no problems with Yahoo!

I like it
    I can find what I need
    Why would I (or Yahoo! for that matter) want to mess with that?

Whats the point of having a search engine which looks like the puff daddy site where you cant find anything?

You might as well go to excite or lycos and go get lost there.. (whoops.. silly me, they re-designed BACK to their more usable site)

It doesnt make sense.. people DONT go to Yahoo! for fancy Flash apps or flying graphics or whatever... they go there to find things... how does it look for Yahoo! if you cant even find what you need to find what you need (huh?)

They dont need a re-desgin. Period.

Pardon me, I'm a cantakerous ******* today.

<---- WhatEver
    ---> pFFt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhhh

yahoo's design is "just too simple?"

yeah, make things more complicated, that's a lot better. BRILLIANT!

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the yahoo design. I really do. Not because it's ugly, which it is, but because it's so EXTREMELY cluttered. Take for instance, the links below the search box. It seems like they are just smacked together, and some of them are bolded for some emigmatic reason.

To the right of the "yahoo jobs" image, there is a link to yahoo mail, about 5 cm from the other link to yahoo mail. I HATE duplicate links in navigation systems.

Then, for some reason, yahoo auctions are splattered up in the center of the page, with different keywords and categories. I wish that they would keep the auctions to a sub page instead of smacking them up in the middle of the front page.

The #1 problem with yahoo is that too much is concentrated to one page (main page) - in a very illogical manner. This is what I wouls suggest for a redesign. Slashdot-type design.
    On the left bar, news, features, auctions, and different from day-to-day stuff should be presented. In the middle, the search window should be on top, and below that, the directory categories. On the right, links to all of yahoo's services, such as Yahoo Finance, Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Tax Center, and so on.

This would be a simple, logical and easy to use design, still retaining the things on the front page.

Oh, and the logo could use some anti-aliasing.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, and some javascript popup-descriptions for all those links wouldn't hurt. They didn't have to appear for non-javascript users.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com