SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$_SESSION security

ok guys, i wanna ask a simple question. someone comes to my website and logs in, my script does blah blah and sets the $_SESSION['name'] for him. till here its good. now say he goes to another website who also happen to have the same $_SESSION['name']; and their script also says something like if (isset($_SESSION['name'])) { blah blah } <<<< im sure by now u know wot im asking.

i read that sessions r stored in temp directories? r they stored with a reference to the website? can you please tell me where i can find my session, and how it gets destroyed once i close browser?

p.s this is not a cookie question.

thank you. i await ur views and answers.
    "None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself." By The one and Only Prophet Mohammed (Peace and blessings be upon him)

Sell crazy someplace else markl999's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say it's not a cookie question but it is really. The session data is held, as you say, on the server side, and the session id is stored in a cookie on the client side. The client side cookie is domain specific so if another site also uses $_SESSION['name'] then it won't matter. So the sessions on the server side don't have a reference to the website but they have a reference to the session id. If you want to find you session data on the server then just view the cookie on the server side and match it's id with the sess_<id here> file on the server, usually held in /tmp (by default).
    If your session.cookie_lifetime is set to 0 (when the browser closes) then next time you start the browser and navigate to the site then you'll get a new session id, so the old one will be destroyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you markl999 u clarifiedfew things for me.
    "None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself." By The one and Only Prophet Mohammed (Peace and blessings be upon him)