SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP or PHP? Do they actually do what i am after?

i am currently redesigning the website for Vox Pops Library. all of my previous sites have been simple, graphic based 2-dimensional sites, and being self taught this means it is all i really know how to do.
    i am now working on my first site that has to be functional. What the site is going to be is an online market research library, similar to (and eventually bigger than)Experts On Line.

I believe ASP and PHP will enable me to create a databse of files, rather than a seperate page for each. Am i right so far? (i have been researching this on a number of sites, but can't find the specific info i need).
    All the video's will be divided into categories, and each video will be available in a number of formats, with accompanying description.

and finally, as far as i can see the only real difference between asp and php is - cost and who can view/host the pages. we need mac compatability too, so that will have to be taken into account.

Any help would be much appreciated - i've kind of been thrown in at the deepend here.

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your conclusions are correct. From what you've described here, either ASP or PHP would do the job for you. However, PHP is clearly the better choice because of the hosting options it offers that ASP simply can't match. In my opinion, the learning curve is much shorter for PHP, too.

If you need a book to get you started, I would highly recommend Kevin Yank's book, Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL. It's an easy read and will get you up to speed pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, thanks. The book is between prints at the moment, which is quite annoying (4 week wait)

is this the best way to accomplish what we are after? as the library is planned to increase in size at an exponential rate, so being able to update easily is the main concern, as well as getting a good cataloging/search system.

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer on not being able to get that book sooner, but it will be worth the wait.

Regarding database size limitations, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on that subject, but I believe that a MySQL database can be much larger than one using MS Access. Someone please correct me if that's wrong.

If you decide to go ahead with PHP & MySQL, you don't have to wait for that book to get started on your application. For one thing, you can start on your database design. You can also get started with a PHP tutorial on the W3Schools website. I'd still recommend getting Kevin's book though.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, lets see.

First of all, ASP is now a very old technology that is not being developed any more. It has been replaced by ASP.NET, which is pretty much completely different from old ASP. It's almost hard to find similarities between them.

PHP does have a larger amount of hosts out there, resulting in on average lower prices for PHP hosting, but the differences are so bloody small that they are almost negligable. It will save you the equivalent of a McDonalds meal per month or so.

As for what platform to pick, it does not really matter that much. They both have advantages and disadvantages. They can both do what you are looking for. ASP.NET is sigificantly more sophisticated and (arguably) cleaner platform than PHP. This results in a more capable platform, but also in a steeper learning curve. You will get started much faster with PHP. With that said, PHP also gives you a lot of rope to hang yourself with, code wise, because it's so simple and "skips" a lot of steps in the development process.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j1mg
    Excellent, thanks. The book is between prints at the moment, which is quite annoying (4 week wait)
    Don't order it from Amazon - get it directly from Sitepoint, here:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/
    2-5 days.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    Regarding database size limitations, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on that subject, but I believe that a MySQL database can be much larger than one using MS Access. Someone please correct me if that's wrong.
    The problem with Access is not it's size - I think it's pretty much as capable as mySQL. The main problem is how many concurrent connections it can support. However, that is pretty irrelevant, as he will want MSSQL for his site if he goes with ASP/ASP.NET. MSSQL is more capable than mySQL on all points, except for speed of very simple SELECTs (i.e. reads) and pure price.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com