SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So your website is fancy. But is it usable?

Alot of people get caught up in bells and whistles and then wonder why there is such a low visitor to sale conversion ratio on their website.

If someone can't find what their looking for easily they're going to hit the back button and go to a different site.

Usability has 2 key parts.

1. A intuitive navigation system

2. An accurate and reasonably specific index of your content

For #1 all you need to identifiable, easy to understand and use navigation system. A column of links on the left hand side works fine. But some people either trying to be unique or improve upon this end up losing something that is so simple to do.

#2 is very important. What if Amazon.com simply had books, and music. And if you wanted books you clicked on books and were presented with a list of say 100, and you had the option of clicking more to see another 100 and so on? Thats right they'd go out of business pretty fast.

Think people are too stupid to do that? Think again. While they don't have the inventory of amazon.com there are plenty of websites out there who simply divide things up by their most general descriptors and leave it at that. So the potential customer has to wade through listing after listing to find the specific item he wants.

Now lets pick on some poor companies.

http://www.bulgari.com/

A jeweler who has a prominent listing in Yahoo. Their website suffers from #1 and #2 - not that you'll ever find the inventory because their menu and navigation system is so bad.

The funny thing is they probably spent thousands and thousands on that website and it is one of the worst websites I've ever seen from a usability standpoint.

http://www.tiffany.com/

The #1 listed jeweler in Yahoo. These people also suffer from both flaws. Their navigation is better than bulgari but its not as intuitive as it could be. But they really suffer from a poor index.

They simply list all earrings together, all rings together, all bracelets together.

So if you want some silver earrings, or a gold bracelet, you must wade through all of the rest finding exactly what you want - visitors shouldn't have to manually search through your inventory and a poor index will turn them off and turn them away.

http://www.fairlawnjewelers.com/

This site has a good navigation but still suffers from a poor index. Without a reasonably specific index of your goods a consumer will be turned off.

http://www.hamiltonjewelers.com

Their navigation can be improved - its usable but it takes some effort. However this is another example of a poor index.

And those 2 sites are also highly listed by yahoo.

http://www.benmoss.com/

This site is not as highly listed by yahoo but it is by far the best one. Their menu system is very usable and while they could still benefit from more specific indexing in other sections of their site - the ring section is nicely indexed.

Don't make the same mistakes the above sites made. Form should never exceed function because function is what pays the bills.

So does anyone else have any examples of poorly built websites?
    Last edited by aspen; Apr 3, 2001 at 19:26.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good examples.

I find that navigation bars are all forming into a loosely adhered convention.

A navigation bar nowadays usually will be a series of links, 4 to 8 links, all in the same place at the top or left in the same style.

They'll often have the following important words in them.

"products"
    "index"
    "downloads"
    "features"
    "news"
    "about"
    "contact"
    "home"

When I am browsing any site, and I want to know, for example, what they have to offer, I'll always look for a navigation bar with the word "products". If it doesn't contain the word "products", then it is harder to find.

It is had "items" or "Things we sell" or "view our extensive range" then this is not expected, and thus harder to navigate. Best to use those words above.

Also they'll generally go from the most used to least used.

"home"
    "products"
    "about us"
    "contact us"
    "legal information"

People are less likely to want legal info on their site, so that is at the bottom.

Another rule of navigation system - more text less graphics. With tables and CSS, you can make text look great. And no need to wait for graphics to load.

Obviously on a jeweller's website the effect is for elegance, and those graphics are more elegant than text could acheive. But it would still be usable with a text navigation system.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wuld agree on that.
    however, it varies from the contentof the site.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein