User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H3 background not filling the column...

I'm trying to give my H3's a background color that I want spanned the entire width of the column it's in and so far it is almost there expect there is a space from in the right side of each column.

My example: http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/news/ - notice "Search Site" and it's background color doesn't go all the way over and it's the same on the right column as well just not as bad, anyone know what I did wrong?

Thanks,

-Michael

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You have thrown ie into quirks mode by leaving in this line above the doctype.
    Code:
    <!-- saved from url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail -->
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    In quirks mode ie6 uses the broken box model in the same way that ie5 and ie5.5. do. But, however unlike those 2, ie6 understands your voice family hack and feeds itself back the values it doesn't need. It needs the same values as ie5 and 5.5. because it wants the broken box model values.

So just take that comment line out and your page should work.

Paul

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul - I didn't even notice that and have no clue how that got there as I've been working on this before and everything was working fine, but at any rate that fixed the problem. Thanks!

I did have a quick question about SEO if anyone could give me some input, right now I do my menu like so:

LINK1 | Link2 | Link3 | - and so on. Would it be better if I turned that into an unordered list and made the list horizontal in CSS or leave it as it is now?

-Michael

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm not really up on SEO but I do believe in structured code so I would prefer to see an ul for the links so they are semantically more correct. However I don't think that will make any difference to the seo as long as your code is valid and the content is in the same place in the html.

Maybe being in a list will make it seem more important to a search engine but I've no idea. I'm sure Vinnie will know

Paul