SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Zeus

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a link-generating program called Zeus.

I wondered if anyone has used it and has any opnions?

Thanks - and regards from Hong Kong.
    Chris
    Hong Kong
    www.plainwebdesign.com
    www.simplyaromatics.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Zeus

Hi BOF

I started using zeus about 2 weeks ago and so far my link directory has just over 400 listings. The success rate for a link back is about 5% which isn't that good considering search engines now give weight to your links. However of the 400 probably 100 would not be expected to link back anyway such as org and gov sites so it's probably nearer 8%
    One of the theme pages popped up as a search result at Alta Vista the other day which was a suprise.
    The designer of zeus does say that each theme page is built to score well with search engines for its title. ie. if you name a theme page full of sites offering free web space as "free web space" it will rank high for that search term.
    Their is quite a lot of work involved and you do require to be quite html savvy but all in all I would give it 9 out of 10.
    www.gr8-business.com
    Free software and tips to
    promote your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh Ady,

Good posting! I've toyed on and off with Zeus myself over about the past 6 months or so. I've just been hesitant to fork over the money for the paid version <I want the additional customization> and I've had some problems with the sites that are being returned. Of course this is due to the nature of the site that I was trying to use Zeus in conjunction with...its a celebrity photo site so Zeus was returning A LOT of junk sites. I find the process time consuming and I haven't proven to myself that Zeus is worth the investment both in time and money. I'd give it a 7.5

I'd be interested in hearing more from you Ady as you use Zeus...about your sucesses or failures with the program and what you think of it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Zues for a while whilst promoting my britney spears site. I found it to be next to useless. After training for the 100 words which in itself was a long task it proceeded to find around 5 britney sites, followed by mutliple non-nude teen sites, then moved on to music sites.

I guess that could only have been my bad "training" - but it stands that for Britney Spears, apart from 20 or so keywords, there isn't a lot that can be "unique" to her.

I tried it a second time after hearing about others having sucess with it, but this time manually entered keywords. This gave me a much more targeted set of words but when running it, Zeus seemed to get stuck (some error message along the lines of "cybernetics I can't hear you" IIRC.)

All in all I would say I wasted 10+ evenings trying to get it to work properly. Maybe if you have cable internet (or anything faster than a 56k modem) and/or your site is in a small niche then it could be usefull.

Regardless of that - the user interface is appauling (as is my spelling)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for the feedback. On balance the experiences seem to be negative. From the Zeus 'blurb' I knew that it involved quite a commitment and some work, but if the results aren't worth it I think I'll pass.

Thanks again, and best regards to all.
    Chris
    Hong Kong
    www.plainwebdesign.com
    www.simplyaromatics.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zeus

I have also tinkered with Zeus for some time and I have discovered that it is not the program that is flawed but it is how we link to other sites. Webmasters usually prefer to link to high traffic sites, of course, therefore Zeus never makes it to the golden nuggets that are out there on the web. Zeus simply follows the links that it finds and scores it. I have found greater success by reading the boards and communicating with those that wish to trade links.

Mike Chambers