SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Keywords

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are Internet Keywords worth registering? Are they going to be a big thing? Is it just hype?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about which type of Internet keywords you are referring to. I assume that you mean what Altavista used to offer? How effective are they? Well, obviously not effective enough for Altavista. I personally don't even look for them. I don't think many search engines offer this service anymore.

Of course, AOL has their "aol keyword". But from my experience trying to obtain info about getting an aol keyword, it's basically expensive to get one.

I would focus on placement in the search engines and pay for those that require payment (i.e. Yahoo, Inktomi, Looksmart)
    Joseph Schell
    AMICO-Online

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you mean "Internet Keywords" owned by realnames.com

Many (perhaps 40%) of the searches I do end up on Internet Keywords. If anybody is looking for a particular business name or brand name, I think it is essential that it comes up in realnames, just so that it is there at the top of the search results.

I don't know how many search engines use Internet Keywords - but enough of them do.

Only do it, though, if you have an established brand name. If you expect most of your traffic to come from generic keywords (product names) then I don't think this is your answer.

That's my opinion.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff