SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need to generate thousands of usernames/passwords - and make them work!

I've designed a page that will be accessable to people who buy a certain book. They'll be issued a name/password in the book. I need to generate random name/password pairs and then set up an authentication system to restrict access to the page. It doesn't have to be complicated or rigorous.

I've tried my luck at htaccess, but this would be extraordinarily time consuming and impracticle for the # of pairs I need (roughly 3000). I'm willing to use any basic method of authentication, but I'm trying to save some time.

The names and passes don't need to make any sense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have access to a server-side language? Such as PHP?

In that case you could create a script that generates x number of credentials and then include an authentication script into each restricted page.

This should probably be in another forum.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or, if you want something simpler without having to check against a list of thousands of generated username/password pairs, you can probably just use a key code, such as used in software packages to prevent piracy... that way all you have to do is devise an algorithm and setup a script to check a single field to see if the user entered string matches your algorithm. And use that same algorithm to generate your list of keycodes to print in the books