SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Age of link seems important

I first read this on webmasterworld and it seems to be true. G is now factoring age of link in PR calculation. I added some pages to a clients site and the new pages got PR3 while the old pages have PR4, the main site has PR5 and none of his internal pages are linked from outside the site.

Any one else experienced simillar result in recent update

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the age of the link, but I've noticed that G cares about the age of the website (or a web page).

I often see that old websites have better rankings than new sites with better PR, more backlinks and better SEO.

(IMHO)
    New PPC Search Engine -- We show only relevant results!

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often see that old websites have better rankings than new sites with better PR, more backlinks and better SEO.
    Its not because of the age of the page that its up but its because people cant get 1000's of backlinks in a day and all spidered them by google on same day and so as more time is spent getting backlinks and google spiders them and slowly they move up but it seems that its the time the page is up and so its ranked well.

Some of the senior member here at SPF can launch a site with good rankings specially aspen.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed the same thing, older pages seem to have a higher PR. I'm positive this has nothing to do with # of backlinks. I have a site, a few pages have the exact the same internal link structure. there're no external backlinks.

I knew this can't be explained by (original) PageRank algorithm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navneet
    I first read this on webmasterworld and it seems to be true. G is now factoring age of link in PR calculation. I added some pages to a clients site and the new pages got PR3 while the old pages have PR4, the main site has PR5 and none of his internal pages are linked from outside the site.
    Are sure all internal page has same internal link stucture...? I had same thought about my new pages, but later found I miss some link to those new pages from other internal pages.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navneet

Any one else experienced simillar result in recent update
    My experiences in the last toolbar PR update are the exact opposite. Some sites that I've been actively promoting and getting new links, have increased in PR, while at least two sites that are very old (five plus years) and I have put no effort into promoting, have lost a point in PR. Perhaps old links are factored, but if they are I'm not seeing any strong evidence of it regarding PR. It would be very difficult to test how (if at all) this effects the SERPS.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are sure all internal page has same internal link stucture
    Ya i am sure they have same internal links. I cannot agree that it is the number of links as the subpages are not linked from outside anywhere

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible. (Anything's possible with Google)

I have noticed that longterm links seem to have more PR power (and I assume SERP rank power too, though I can't prove that), and have always just figured it was natural... not sure.