SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    As everybody knows the advertising market is in lot of troubles. I'm getting about 20.000 pageviews a month on a local site and I would like to know how I can sell banneradvertising. Any tricks on how to approach possible advertisers would be welcome.

Thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sincerely i think that you are one of the opinion shapers here and i feel that the adjustment/reset/transfer to reality in the advertising sector is a sign that online advertising will now run a natural course.

I cannot give any direct advise relevant to your question on selling advertising but to request you to check the feature that ran on this web site on selling advertising by Matt Mickiewiz.

In that article of reference, he explained the basics of advertising selling, the software and at the end of the article there were so many links. I found out that "webadvert" is no more and that many hosting agencies have banned this software. Check the profit and promote sections here and if you can't find it send Matt a note.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly do you want to know? On my site, I have a page about what advertising we offer and a short form for interested users to fill out. I then reply to the form submissions with rates and availability pages (we have created pages for those areas). If the user is still interested, I work with them to answer any questions and then direct them to an online ordering form from there. Here's an example: http://sports-central.org/other/advertising

Bruno Delepierre
    Just like any other site I accept link suggestions. However I think among these suggestions there may be possible advertisers ( also text links ) . I wanted to know if I should approach them myself or if I should wait until they contact me. In the link suggestion form I have integrated a prominent link to the advertising section so they will surely know they can advertise.

Is it normal business to approach possible advertisers yourself and if so, can you give me some advice on the kind of approach ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI M.James

What ad-tracking-software do you use?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by PaulT
    HI M.James

What ad-tracking-software do you use?

Thanks
    I use OrbitCycle.com.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to know if I should approach them myself or if I should wait until they contact me.
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with contacting them. That's how I have got the majority of my CPM advertising (the best, in my experience, but also the hardest). To be fair, I've also been fairly successful with affiliate links - the benefit of these, of course, is that it's relatively easy to be accepted to as many as you want, so you can have loads of them turned into links.
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Bruno Delepierre
    Thanks OllieO for the answer. Could you give me any advice on what you should mention when you contact potential advertisers. I'm a leading site in my local niche. Of course statistics like page views and e-zine subscribers I would tell them. However I'm doubting wether to mention my CPM prizes : would it be better for them to contact me, if they are interested or should I mention the costs to them in my letter.

If anybody can provide me with a sample letter they have sent to potential advertisers ( and got the contract )I'd appreciate it. You can always e-mail me or post it here.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to dedicate a few hours each day to phoning companies that are already advertising on your competitor's sites and talking to the VP of Marketing at that company.

It's hard work, and sales-experience definitely helps. Perhaps pick up a few books on the subject, stuff like overcoming objections, courtesy, opening lines, etc. are all very important.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, how about you give us some good tips you know??
    What is a good opening line??
    A joke??

"Guess why the chicken crossed the road....
    blah blah......
    [talks for 30 minutes]
    yes, I believe I would like to advertise on your site..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    igor@af, although this suggestion is almost a cliche in itself, the best place to start in learning how to sell is by reading Dale Carnegie's classic How to Win Friends & Influence People.

This book outlines strategies and practical examples of how best to capture, maintain and serve the interests of a potential client. Sales is, after all, still about linking people together in order to acheive mutual goals. Often, metrics take a second place to personal attention, and if you express your willingness to serve your advertiser to the best of your ability, you should be able to command premium CPMs, and the advertiser's trust.

In all markets, but a struggling market particularly, you need to go out of your way to keep your advertiser's happy in this all-important partnership.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!