SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing which really annoys me is when people install a javascript routine which, upon a right mouse button click event, pops up an alert box stating that "Right click is disabled" or "HTML source is protected".

Why do people bother? I like to examine the HTML source of many sites I visit to further my knowledge, indeed it is this method of learning which I believe is responsible for the rate at which the WWW did, and continues to, grow.

HTML is a client side language. Accept it. People can always view you code / steal your images if they want. And to put everyone on a level playing field here, I'd like to point out the easiest way to bypass this pointless javascript interference.

Press the left mouse button just before the right mouse button (almost, but not quite, clicking both at the same time) Internet Explorer (don't know about Netscape) will not deny you access to the popup menu if you do this.

Just wanted to share my gripe and one of many solutions for it.
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto, agreed, etc. etc.

Of course, just switch off JavaScript (IE : Tools --> Internet Options --> 'Security' tab --> Custom Level --> Active Scripting (near the bottom) --> Disable or Prompt. Netscape : Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced (main) --> disable JavaScript)

You can always try to obsufucate your code using character encoding and JavaScript string validation but there's always a way around it.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Agreement

That is stupid. I am only to happy to have people use my code. Hey want a function, no problem. Hey like that table, no problem. I wouldn't even care about server side code if there wasn't a security risk in letting people see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It annoys me to no end when people use that.

I tend to right-click-open-in-new-window a lot so that I can continue looking at the site I'm on, while having the other page load behind. When I can't right click, I'll just leave (usually to not come back... call me over sensitive, but I don't like when sites take away browser functions that I rely on).

Also, how valuable is most code online that it's so important to try to hide it? I've learned a lot from other sites and would be happy to let others see my code and perhaps find something they wanted to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dupe post...

see below
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that I have found is that most sites who use the "disable right click" are amateur sites. It's like they said "Hey, I don't want anyone stealing my animation of a dancing hamster...that I stole from someone else.

I have yet to see a professional site that used that scripting. Much less a site that I would even WANT to examine their code.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well given that I do about 85% of my surfing from a Mac, 10% from Windoze and about 5% from Linux, I wouldn't even know if I had visited such a site as that JavaScript would mean nothing on my system.

The concept of attempting to hide your code is preposterous both on a practical and ethical level. Firstly, right-click disabling the client browser to hide code is as useful as making the font colour white in a word doc to hide the text!

On a philosophical scale, the world wide web would not exist as it does if it were not for open source and open standards. Simple as that! No TPC/IP, no Linux servers, no Apache, no HTML, no JPEG or PNG image formats, need I go on?

People have quickly forgotten that Microsoft, Apple and AOL all ran proprietory, subscription bases, closed internets before the world wide web became the universal standard.

Anyway, as creole says - such silly antics are no doubt the domain of amature script kiddies. No professional web publlisher would willingly insult their audience in that manner.
    Last edited by freakysid; Apr 9, 2001 at 08:30.