User Tag List

<?php echo"GiroPets"; ?> giropets's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Two Windows XP Questions

Hi everybody,

I've been using Windows XP for over a year now, (probably near 2 years now ?) and I had heard somewhere that if you upgrade 10 or more of your system components, then Windows XP will lock you out thinking it's another computer ? Is that true ?

Another thing I had heard is that you can sorta "by-pass" the registration screen by setting your system clock back 30 days, and repeating the process over and over again. Is that true ?

- Mike.
    GiroPets.net - Virtual Petsite

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't lock you out but does require you to re-activate the installed OS. You have 30 days to do this. Microsoft only stores activation information for a maximum of 4 months so if you haven't activated in that period of time, you will have no problem. Just click on the "Activate Now" bubble and you are good to go.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answer, now I understand more about that.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the main thing yo cant change is your mother board. From what i uderstand that is the component that causes you to be unable to active windows most often. Other components seem to be fine. i have also heard that even if you change the board, ms will ususally activate you if you call and explain the situation.
    Shane M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had no problems changing out the motherboard. Have upgraded 3 of my PCs in the last year with no problems with Windows re-activating.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, maybe this whole thing is a big scam by ms to scare us all into not trying to use our existing copies of xp and buy new. I can just see bill sitting back and rubbing his hands together and laughing a sinister Dr. Evil laugh. lol
    Shane M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane M
    Interesting, maybe this whole thing is a big scam by ms to scare us all into not trying to use our existing copies of xp and buy new. I can just see bill sitting back and rubbing his hands together and laughing a sinister Dr. Evil laugh. lol
    Yeah, good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane M
    I think the main thing yo cant change is your mother board. From what i uderstand that is the component that causes you to be unable to active windows most often. Other components seem to be fine. i have also heard that even if you change the board, ms will ususally activate you if you call and explain the situation.
    Actually it isn't just one component it happens if you upgrade several components. I don't know what the actual number is but it has happened to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 significant changes... Depending on the motherboard, this can include all ten. Some of the things that are tracked include network cards, hard drives, optical drives, sound devices, video cards, CPU, memory and the motherboard.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez I didn't realize I changed that many things!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone said the otherday that it is actually the chipset on the mb that it looks at. Don't know if that is correct though.
    Shane M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can hardware components be changed and upgraded?

Product Activation is able to tolerate a certain degree of change in a hardware configuration by allowing a current hash value to have a degree of difference from the hash value that was originally activated. As a result, users can change their hardware without the product believing it is on a different PC than the one it was activated on. If the user completely overhauls the hardware making substantial hardware changes (even over long periods of time), reactivation may be required. In that case, users may need to contact to contact a Microsoft customer service representative by telephone to reactivate.

How does product activation determine tolerance? In other words, how many components of the PC must change before I am required to reactivate?

Common changes to hardware such as upgrading a video card, adding a second hard disk drive, adding RAM or upgrading a CD-ROM device will not require the system to be reactivated.

Specifically, product activation determines tolerance through a voting mechanism. There are 10 hardware characteristics used in creating the hardware hash. Each characteristic is worth one vote, except the network card which is worth three votes. When thinking of tolerance, it's easiest to think about what has not changed instead of what has changed. When the current hardware hash is compared to the original hardware hash, there must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware hashes to be considered in tolerance. If the network card is the same, then only 4 additional characteristics must match (because the network card is worth 3, for a total of 7). If the network card is not the same, then a total of 7 characteristics other than the network card must be the same. If the device is a laptop (specifically a dockable device), additional tolerance is allotted and there need be only 4 or more matching points. Therefore, if the device is dockable and the network card is the same, only one other characteristic must be the same for a total vote of 4. If the device is dockable and the network card is not the same, then a total of 4 characteristics other than the network card must be the same.

Are the changes cumulative? In other words, if I change one component today and one tomorrow, is that two component changes?

The changes are cumulative; however, if a user is asked to reactivate, the hardware profile is reset to that new configuration.

What are the 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash?

The 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash are: Display Adapter, SCSI Adapter, IDE Adapter, Network Adapter MAC Address, RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc), Processor Type, Processor Serial Number, Hard Drive Device, Hard Drive Volume Serial Number, CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM.
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, I have the same problem with you, get the answer now