Thread: IE 6 beta ...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE 6 beta ...

Just a new topic I want to moot ...

Has any1 started playing around with coding for IE 6 beta yet?

I was wanting to know if there was any great difference between it and IE5.5 as far as JS and CSS was concerned. Also, does it has full native support for XML, without having to be translated into XHTML?

Just some thoughts, feel free to respond ...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played around with IE6 for a little while, and I honestly wasn't impressed. The changes did not outweight its flaws... Of course, that's why they call it a beta...
    ---------------------------------
    UnobUtt: http://www.unobutt.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: IE 6 beta ...

Originally posted by Scot-Bot
    Just a new topic I want to moot ...

Has any1 started playing around with coding for IE 6 beta yet?

I was wanting to know if there was any great difference between it and IE5.5 as far as JS and CSS was concerned. Also, does it has full native support for XML, without having to be translated into XHTML?

Just some thoughts, feel free to respond ...

I believe IE 5 and 5.5 have native support for XML so I would imagine IE 6 does as well.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

I downloaded IE 6 and happened to be very displeased. The reason I choose IE as my browser is because it's so fast, has good support for technology, and I like it's simple interface.

IE 6 was slow, didn't support a W3C DOM script I made (it's not the scritper's fault...this time, atleast ), and it still has a simple interface, so that's good.

The major differences that I know of is IE 6's support for DOM, atleast it's supposed to, but it obviously didn't by noticing that it didn't work with my script appropriately. So, regarding this, as of now, I consider IE 6 a waste, althought keep in mind that it is a beta. Also, I think it has full CSS 1 and 2 compatibility...

aDog

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Westmich ...

I'm given to believe that NS6 was the first browser to fully support XML. And that IE5+ don't: your XML docs have to be translated using XSLT for these. Furthermore, neither you could not use full XML in these browsers because neither supported XLink or XPointer.

reference: XML Visual Quick Start Guide.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am liking the IE6 beta much better IE5.5.
    It has only crashed once in my near week of usage (much better than my IE5.5, which crashed on a daily basis), and contrary to Adog, I notice no speed difference at all.
    As for W3C support, it finally supports cursor:url(bla.cur) ) or depending on who's site you are visiting....), and all my DOM coding has worked fine in it. Using WebHelm's DOM viewer, I have extensively traversed IE6's Document Object Model, there is a bunch of new junk in there, and is chock full of all the W3C objects (firstChild, etc).

Other than enhanced stability and W3C code support, there isn't much of any difference (besides a few extra features here and there, onmousewheel event for example).
    Jason - Contact Me
    Supermoderator @ CodingForums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE6, dearest coders, has let me down also. I was expecting a better inteface and a whole new look and feel of the browser. but I dont see a change made. The browser crashes all the time. Sometimes i can't see some codes I have edited that 5.5 supported.
    All in all, I dont see much of a change in use. It is a bit faster and I like the little toolbar that pops up over the images but it was not of a big change from 5. Sorry Microsoft, you have to make better then that.

rate: 4 out fo 10.
    Morpheos - Media Design/Motion
    Creative Kingdom
    morpheos@creative-k.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people...it's a BETA! what do you expect?
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that's just the point, Creole, most new software is of beta standard - just look at NS6.

Remember, when Win2K was initially released it had 64,000 bugs in it - that's why we've had all those service packs.

Mac users don't get off lightly either, since Mac OS X is apparently rather bug-ridden too. Which is unsual since Mac OS X is now just another Unix clone - oh, well, so much for thinking differently!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind it is still beta and will be for some time probably. This is the time when they want a large number of people to use it so they can figure out what needs to be fixed. No matter how much internal testing they do, they can't find every little thing wrong with it. One of the reasons for releasing a beta is too get users to find all the little errors. But most of you know this allready.

One feature I find nice about IE6 is this Fault Collection

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

You know that IE 6 still doesn't support a lot of W3C DOM. It doesn't even support addEventListener()

aDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standards...

I'm sure many of you know about this website, but for those who don't, www.webstandards.org is a great place to get involved in getting the browser companies to adhere to the standards.
    Last edited by Abstraction; Apr 15, 2001 at 19:04.