SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space History Made...

So I just watch Space Ship One launch into space for the third time. The second time in the last week. Pretty interesting thing to watch from your front porch.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    So I just watch Space Ship One launch into space for the third time. The second time in the last week. Pretty interesting thing to watch from your front porch.
    I live in Huntsville, AL and while no luanches happneed here, it is home to NASA. I've been able to sit in the shuttle cockpit and even seen solid rocket booster tests. We have a museum here of all the space stuff you could want to see, including rovers, apollo rockets, landers etc. It's awesome. I wish I could have seen some live launches and having seen the blasts from the boosters I can only imagine the awe your seeing first hand. Very cool.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have all that here as well at Nasa's Dryden Research facility. The Dryden facility is a common fieldtrip for all the local schoolchildren. When I was in grade school they had the Enterprise there but that has since been moved to the Smithsonian. Pretty cool stuff to see.

Living here in the desert with Edwards AFB, AF Plant 42, and now Mojave Airport leads to some interesting sites in the air.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    Pretty cool, pretty neat.

--ed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, next time snap some pics for the rest of us
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time, I will go out to the Mojave Spaceport (they are calling the airport that now) and take pictures.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to live close to Kennedy Space Center. We lived there in the 80s, when I was a baby, when the space shuttle with the teacher on board blew up. My Mom mentions it once a year... just that it just looked like a bunch of smoke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iFroggy
    We used to live close to Kennedy Space Center. We lived there in the 80s, when I was a baby, when the space shuttle with the teacher on board blew up. My Mom mentions it once a year... just that it just looked like a bunch of smoke.
    That would be the Challenger . I was in Kindergarten when that happened. I saw a similar thing when last year's shuttle problems happened.

When I lived in Orlando I used to watch the shuttles take off from my front yard all the time. It was pretty cool being on the way to work and watching a rocket launch into the sky .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    That would be the Challenger . I was in Kindergarten when that happened. I saw a similar thing when last year's shuttle problems happened.

When I lived in Orlando I used to watch the shuttles take off from my front yard all the time. It was pretty cool being on the way to work and watching a rocket launch into the sky .
    I was in the 4th grade, I think, maybe 3rd. I remember sitting in class watching the launch. We watched them all in class and especially that time since a teacher was going up. That was a horrible thing to watch.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in 10th Grade when the Challenger exploded. I didn't find out about it until computer class. It was only rumor because we had no way to verify it where I was. I remember my mother picking me up and telling my about it also. When I told her that it couldn't have happened, she took me to K-Mart which was next to the high school and we went to the television section to watch it.

We now have a road called "Challenger Way". It is the road they used to transport the shuttles by truck from the Plant 42 hanger where they were built to Edwards AFB where they were tested. It was the only road wide enough in the city at that time.

I was on a religious retreat when the Columbia had its mishap and didn't see it until two days later. The main road outside the Hanger at Plant 42 is now called "Columbia Way". Both incidents hit the community very hard because there are 10,000 men and women locally who built the orbiters, refurbished them, upgraded them over the years. So naturally they wondered if it was something they did that caused the explosions.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, it's very simliar here as well. In the Challenger explosion they were blaming it on stuff that was done here. We have a lot of NASA people here along with Redstone Arsenal and Marshal Space Flight Center. I'm sure you have all the big contractors there too, like Lockeed Martin etc. We have roads named after every shuttle, if I'm not mistaken. I collected stamps when I was a kid and I have quite a few stamps from the era with all the cool space pictures on them. I've always been a huge fan of the space program (and space in general) and I hope to see our space exploration efforts grow.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say