SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows XP Media Center - anyone using it yet?

My home just evolved.

The new PC (P4 3 Ghz) went into the home office (my wifes) and is plugged into an ADSL wireless router (a D-Link DSL-G604T). The old PC (a 833Mhz) is now slotted behind the TV in the living room, which is where I'm typing this message on my AOpen wireless keyboard and mouse. The old PC is plugged into the s-video socker of the tv, and the sound card from the PC is also plugged into the TV. I have a 2 year old son, and today we were playing games on the Disney website on this living setup. (Actually, I was playing the games and he had his nose or finger pressed up against the tv most of the time).

So for me the "PC in living room" has arrived.

Which I understand is what Windows XP Media Center is all about:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...r/default.mspx

(incidentally, this version of XP was first spotted back in 2002 here at Sitepoint: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68451)

So do I have a point or question? Er, no, not really. Just an observation that I believe that Microsoft are right on the money (like they need more of it, right?!) with the Media Center concept. I really like the concept of a PC being at the heart of a living room based entertainment system. I think people will feel comfortable using an XP interface to this system, and Microsoft are giving it to them. There's something 'right' about an on-screen, online, wireless media center in my living toom to bring together all my home entertainment requirements: web browsing/searching, online gaming, recording tv programmes, managing my music collection, and them some...

So do any Sitepointers have XP Media Center up and running in their homes? What's it like?

Slight aside: my main problems right now with the PC in the living are:
    1. Trying to stop my son grabbing at cables and/or hitting the off button on the PC (twice in a few days)
    2. Reading text is very difficult right now, even with my screen res. adjusted down to 800x600. I naively assumed that plugging my PC into the s-video socket would give a sharp on-screen rendering of web pages. Wrong! So I suppose now I've got to go hunting for a television with built-in computer monitor capabilities (they do exist, right?).
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in XP you can change the behaviour of the Power button, from Shut Down to Restart, Hibernate etc.

Not sure if that exists in MC.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. Reading text is very difficult right now, even with my screen res. adjusted down to 800x600. I naively assumed that plugging my PC into the s-video socket would give a sharp on-screen rendering of web pages.
    TV screens are extremely low res! if you look real close, you will actually see how big the pixels are!! You can get TVs now that are real sharp. I think if you try putting ur screen down to 640x480 it may make a difference. but then again, website wont really work too well