SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I upgrade my laptop???

OK computer folks....help me out. I just got a new desktop, and now I realize that my laptop is painfully slow! Is there any way to upgrade a 3 year old laptop like this (Dell Inspiron I2500 with Intel Celeron processor, 897 MHz, 128 MB of Ram, Windows XP) or should I just start over!???? I need SPEED! I really don't run any huge programs/ queries/ etc... I've done the virus checks and spy sweepers, and the system efficiency stuff.

Thanks for any help!!!

SitePoint Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always add RAM as well as expand the hard drive as part of a move to increase some performance and add capacity. In addition you can tweak the system for optimum efficiency via http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm
    Freelance System Administrator, Researcher, Writer
    Practical Applications
    Open Sourcery "SitePoint's Open Source Blog"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the resource, I'll definitely try some of those.

I just need performance help and not capacity....is adding RAM going to help a lot? How much do I need? Can I do it myself? (sorry...I really am not technical)

Thanks

SitePoint Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traditionally Dell's have easy access to notebook RAM - you would buy a 256 MB RAM simm for the machine and replace the 128 chip with it. Hard drive access is fairly accessible - however - you would want to backup critical data before swapping the drives out and reinstalling your apps.

In addition - if getting rid of the drive - be sure to format it well to erase any remnants of your own data.

Here is a help doc from Dell on adding memory and such..

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ve.htm#1053374
    Freelance System Administrator, Researcher, Writer
    Practical Applications
    Open Sourcery "SitePoint's Open Source Blog"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to upgrade your current system - you can buy some RAM - that would improve perfomance, but don't expect too much from it.

You could upgrade your CPU, but that depends on your motherboard's chipset. If the chipset is too slow to support faster CPU - then there's no reason to upgrade the CPU.
    In this case - upgrading the motherboard is almost impossible in a laptop. So - if you've got a slow chipset and want to have a pretty fast machine - you need to buy a new one.
    CEO of Grandiz! - a team based in Odessa, Ukraine.
    Designing and developing sophisticated web apps on CodeIgniter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Glowshield: A word of note: Laptop ARE SLOW compared to their desktop counterparts. If you wish to upgrade the components, i suggest you buy more RAM.

As you did profess in being "not technical", i advise you to be cautious in upgrading a laptop because most laptop are of propriety design, make sure you read the manuals/ instructions (patronising as it may seem)b4 undertaking the job.

Also I do not know the prices for laptop components in the US but in UK it costs a lot! If u find that you are paying 1/4 of your laptop retail price for a/couple of components, i suggest u buy a new one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I think I found a sucker...I mean buyer for my laptop! Time to upgrade perhaps.