SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really a business/legal professional who did a bit of C++ coding and has been building his own site. I've sort of hit the brick wall in terms of what to learn. What is suggested is different for everybody and I do have a year of C++ learning behind me. My goal? Who knows where I'll be in a year from now and I'd like to learn some languages that will be growing, rather than slowing down, as well as in demand for $$$... yeah, I know it's all about the code but we have to eat some time!!! I'll still probably end up in business but I love to keep up my site and learn how to do it... but don't want to learn dead end languages. Here is what I'm thinking:

1) HTML: A given, should know CSS
    2) Java: A must.
    3) Javascript: A must also (what a pain.. the list is growing)
    4) ASP v. PHP v. JSP: I'm leaning toward starting on ASP and figuring this out in a month or two. Isn't vBulletin in PHP? Is it growing or will JSP outstrip ASP and PHP? PHP is cheap, ASP supposedly isn't because your provider has to lay out money for MS licensing. Linux seems to be growing tremendously... so.. for *my* purposes, what d you think?
    5) mySQL v. SQL Server v. Oracle v. Access: I know Access well and began basic SQL, and will probably begin learning on mySQL since I have it on my site. I'll worry about anything further later. The top 4 above are more important.
    6) Spanish v. German: OK... we'll leave this one for a rainy day.

So, that's where I'm looking at going with this. Comments anyone? Hope I don't start a war... just looking for some peace of mind!
    My site for law answers and legal information -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably forgoe learning Java - it hasn't really got all that on web publishing, (unless you are into building applet aplications) I use ASP - that's 'cause it's easy to use + I have UltraDev which helps me for speed.

To save yourself money, PHP is a good investment, since it's free, etc.

Core web languages:

1 HTML (or, better, XHTML), CSS, and JavaScript.

You can't go wrong with that.

If you decide to do the Java route, then JSP is a good investment..

for ASP, you'll need a backing of VB - but that's not that hard to get started with, especially with C++ behind you.

Then, PHP and/or Perl are good for *nix enviroments.

HTH,

James

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks -- those are good suggestions. I'm not concerned about the money for development tools. I'll spend some money if it means I'm a player. I guess what it comes down to is whether to go the MS/NT/ASP route or the GNU/UNIX/PHP route. I just don't know which is and will be more widely supported, require more demand for programmers/professionals.

I've taken a look at UltraDev and may use it. Right now I'm using DW for page editing, and FP for most else simply because it was easy to learn, has some good site administration features, and has some very powerful features that make simple database integration work. Also has confirm pages, JavaBots plugins (useful, not just eye candy), but I'll probably move to UD because I'd like to do more heavy duty substantive things like have and manipulate databases with a larger number of entries....

Originally posted by imajes
    I use ASP - that's 'cause it's easy to use + I have UltraDev which helps me for speed.....

To save yourself money, PHP is a good investment, since it's free, etc.

Core web languages:

1 HTML (or, better, XHTML), CSS, and JavaScript.
    for ASP, you'll need a backing of VB - but that's not that hard to get started with, especially with C++ behind you.

Then, PHP and/or Perl are good for *nix enviroments.

HTH,

James
    My site for law answers and legal information -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by slinky
    I guess what it comes down to is whether to go the MS/NT/ASP route or the GNU/UNIX/PHP route. I just don't know which is and will be more widely supported, require more demand for programmers/professionals.
    The demand right now is in MS/NT/ASP etc. I dont' want to start the war of PHP vs ASP, that has been done to death, but I do think that PHP is gaining ground.

I would suggest ASP etc. if you are wanting to make $$$ right away, and PHP if your just into the hobby side of things.

Languages are not that hard when you understand the syntax behind the language and know how to program. So just because you know C++ doesn't mean you can't learn VB. I would put forward that you can learn it pretty fast as you already have basic programming concepts in mind.

Hope this helps

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking to go into ASP development commercially then stick with C++. At the commercial level most ASP development is done as Components using VB or C++ and scripting is just used for the presentation layer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're into this for making money (which is not a bad thing at all), then JSP is the way for you to go. I have been reading tons of articles. Nearly every one of them says that while PHP is coming on strong, JSP is the one that is most flexible, powerful and the best for designing high end web applications. Plus with your background in C++, JSP should be more familiar to you than say ASP, although PHP would be familar too.

PHP is free of course, as is mySQL. I don't know if JSP is free or not.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... seriously guys, great info and I appreciate the candor. Here's where I'm looking at it from -- I need to make it priority to make up for lost time and during that time need to make rent and eat. NY is a pretty expensive town! I'll probably be ready for something within 6-9 months but it's tough to focus on one development effort.

vBulletin, one of the most popular forums software, is completely PHP-mySQL based. But it is usually aimed toward the free, community environments. I don't see it on large companies who use their own proprietary versions and ASP is a big seller. In a way I'd get more practice with ASP by hacking the Snitz.com forums, a great alternative. Our company, a large public, will use JSP for their forums. One wonders what one should do!! It is overwhelming. For the time being, though, I was told to stay away from JSP because it is far from mature and can be learned when it becomes a more mature product.

I think I'm convinced that I'll do the following:
    1) Javascript & brush up on latest HTML/XML
    2) ASP/VB to start for a bit, PHP to practice (which shouldn't be so difficult after ASP) or JSP if it is a more mature product in about 6-9 months...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course, UltraDev does jsp too

James

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,

The best suggestion to give you is too go with Java, coming from a c++ background as well, java is really easy to learn. It is identical to c++ but a few things differ.

C++ is still a more powerful language then Java is, but with people going towards applets, and Servlets you cant go wrong when looking for work.

And it pays really really well.

And I would recommend it over Perl, ASP, and PHP.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java is a compiled language

Perl, ASP, PHP are scripting languages - whole different ballgame.

ASP is extremely popular in the corporate world not because of any nature of the language. But because it was first and when it first came out there was such a need for it's type that many started using it - and much in the same way that I still use aol since I dont want to change my address - they still use it.

Another contributing factor is that corporations like the peace of mind that if something breaks they can call up microsoft.

$$$ wise the best thing to learn would be java - but its not a scripting language - you should also learn a scripting language.

With your background in C++ you should find PHP very easy to learn - same thing with javascript and java.

So that is the route I recommend you take.

If you had a background in VB I would recommend the VBscript/ASP route.

Also ASP and PHP coding and syntax wise are not all that similar.

Perhaps the most important issue is that PHP is for linux and ASP is for NT (all exceptions aside). And its a fact that linux is a better OS for running a server.

The best thing you could do from a money standpoint is learn Java. Once you know that you can probably get the hang of PHP is a day or 2 - a week tops - and javascript will also be a snap - and perl (if necessary) could be learned in a month.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand things correctly - JSP is the scripting language end of Java. I understand that it does get compiled into a servlet and cached as such but to the developer it is just coded up as script and uploaded to the server without needing to be compiled into binary (*.class). Is this correct?