SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I believe you have my stapler. scrubz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately S.K., RAM has nothing to do with system resources. I have 384MB of RAM in my box at home, but RAM is different from the resources that Windows uses to manage applications. All the RAM in the world won't make a difference if HomeSite has resource leaks and resources keep dropping. (Microsoft's Media Player isn't very resource friendly either, by the way. I avoid it now since I can live without the pretty special effects while listening to CDs.)

If HomeSite didn't leak so bad under Windows 9x and Millenium, I'd still use it, but EditPlus32 plays friendly and is now my editor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now use Editplus, after seeing it in this thread. I love the syntax highlighting for just about any language...

I recognises library functions and reserved words too, it's not just syntax.

Also it is highly configurable.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by scrubz
    Unfortunately S.K., RAM has nothing to do with system resources. I have 384MB of RAM in my box at home, but RAM is different from the resources that Windows uses to manage applications. All the RAM in the world won't make a difference if HomeSite has resource leaks and resources keep dropping.
    I wish to be wised up on this, if you please!
    To my rudimentary knowledge the system resources that a program can use are:
    1. CPU cycles
    2. RAM space (free memory, high memory et al!)
    3. Virtual memory - hard disc space
    If there is anything other than this list kindly enlighten me.
    I wish to add that I use Homesite on a PIII, 128Mb, 20Gig PC with 4,5 tabs open and it has so far not sulked,cried or hiccupped (touch wood!).
    I'd be very grateful if you could spotlight a wee bit on "Leakage of resources".
    I use participation in these forums as a learning experience.
    Thank you
    Regards,
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry!

I have only thought of hardware!
    I have overlooked the Operating System!
    Is it near the bull's eye?
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smashgorand
    I have no idea what kind of programming language was used to write HomeSite, but it sure eats resources.
    Could it be Delphi?

I've written some pretty huge applications over the time....The cute "code-popups" will also become a part of my editor......I've made a code assistant that constantly changes acording to the code you type. The code assistant has an option where you can click a button, and then use a wizard to setup the tag/function you are writing with all properties/attributes/options.
    Sounds Great!
    Can you get us your editor!
    Cheers!
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to HomeSite: I know for sure it's not made in Delphi, since Borlands runtime libraries are not installed. I suspect it's written in either Microsoft C or Borland C, and somewhere in the process someone on the programming team doesnt "cleanup" when they are done.

In regards to my own editor: I'm still in the development of the editor, and I still have some things to add and some bugs to find in it. I'm a one-man-team developing this editor, and I originally started developing it because none of the editors that already exist, can do what I require of my editor.
    I started this thread to learn what others were using, and because I wanted to find out what I could do to improve my product, so others might use it aswell. I have gathered everyones comments in this thread and I'm now trying to change the specifications of my editor, so I can attempt to support most of the requests and wishes posted here. Unfortunately this means that the development of the editor itself is currently halted, to give time for changes to the specifications. When I'm done with the new specifications I will post them at my site, and I will also keep track of the developement of the editor at the same page.

I will leave a note here with a link to the description page, but please - have patience - software development takes time, especially if we want products that don't eat resources, are virtually bug-free, and that have all the feautres wanted.

Keep the code smooth friends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I need is notepad, but colour coded.

I find all these programs with hundred of shortcuts cluttering up my screen compleatly useless. All I need is a text editor that colours my code so that I can see what is asp, php, comments, javascript, jscript, vbscript, formatting, tables and text. That is it. I never use these annoying shortcut functions, as I find it quicker to type it in myself. Anyone know of one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >>I find all these programs with hundred of shortcuts cluttering up my screen compleatly useless. All I need is a text editor that colours my code so that I can see what is asp, php, comments, javascript, jscript, vbscript, formatting, tables and text.

Seriously, try EditPlus. It only has one top toolbar and you can turn that off so it will look just like notepad... except it will handle multiple documents and make your code technicolor.
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

I believe you have my stapler. scrubz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by S.K

I wish to be wised up on this, if you please!
    To my rudimentary knowledge the system resources that a program can use are:
    1. CPU cycles
    2. RAM space (free memory, high memory et al!)
    3. Virtual memory - hard disc space
    If there is anything other than this list kindly enlighten me.
    I wish to add that I use Homesite on a PIII, 128Mb, 20Gig PC with 4,5 tabs open and it has so far not sulked,cried or hiccupped (touch wood!).
    I'd be very grateful if you could spotlight a wee bit on "Leakage of resources".
    I use participation in these forums as a learning experience.
    Thank you
    Regards,
    I searched for the article explaining this, but couldn't find it, so I might not explain this very well or be 100% accurate. The way it was explained to me is that aside from RAM, Windows has a set amount of space for allocating "resources" when opening and closing programs. Someone had mentioned it's suprisingly small (128K?). Aside from memory leaks regarding RAM, the resources Windows sets aside aren't always released completely when an application is closed. In Windows Me (and I believe Windows 9x), you can right-click 'My Computer', go to Properties, Performance, and see the percentage of resources available.

One reason I believed that it had nothing to with RAM is the fact that my machine behaved no differently with leaks after being upgraded from 128 to 384MB of RAM. If someone has another opinion or knows the truth on all of this, I'm all ears.

What OS are you running? HomeSite behaves for me on NT and 2000 Pro, but it's not happy on Windows 9x and Me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mate of mine made an HTML editor. In the top frame is the text editor, and in thwe bottom frame is like MSIE, showing what you have done so far, and refreshing every 2 seconds.

You can download it at here.

- Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, scrubz for the info.
    I find netscape 4.6 also doesn't close fully.
    Certain progs leave a lot of files even after uninstalling ( of course, thatz a diffrent matter)
    I run Homesite both on win98 and me.
    Regards
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the beginning when I started programming under the Windows platform, I discovered what should be done to make sure the uninstall performs its task fully. This means that all the files produced by the application, should also be removed from the application folder, which in most cases doesnt happen. In regards to my editor currently under development, soon in test phase, I have made sure that the configuration of the editor, is written into a standard .ini file located in the application folder. When the editor is installed, a "factory" settings .ini file is included, which means the uninstall tool will remove this file aswell, leaving the application folder completely empty, so the uninstaller can remove the folder aswell. I'm writing the editor in Microsoft Visual Basic, which means that most of the controls already exists in Windows, so leaving them is perfectly ok, since they were already there when the editor was installed. We all know the "Open File" dialog (Common Dialog) - just a sample of one of these controls.

At the moment I'm attempting to figure out a way to all registry options to the uninstall log file, so file associations made from the editor can be removed aswell.

My editor doesnt feature toolsbar for a lot of reasons, most importantly because they take up a lot of quality space on the screen - see GPRMac's posting. Instead I've chosen to dump all the "quick-code" functions or "shortcuts" on keyboard combinations in menus. Pressing Ctrl+Enter in the editor will produce the <BR> tag. Pressing Ctrl+Spacebar will product &nbsp; - the list continues. After I wrote the first verison of the editor, I decreased my code production time by about 70%, which means I can now produce a lot more code within the same timeframe.

I've also inlcuded options that allow the user to view all bookmarks from both Internet Explorer and Netscape. This "toolbox" allows drag'n'drop easy-code - just drag the link into the editor and it writes the code for you. Same thing with the gallery/image "toolbox", just drag'n'drop the image into the editor, and it will write the code for you. A bunch of file formats are supported in the same way from the file-browser "toolbox". Each "toolbox" can be toggled on or off, depending on preferences. When all "toolboxes" are off, the editor itself fills the screen, only leaving space for the titlebar and the menus.

This questions is especially for GPRMac: Would keyboard shortcuts for "quick-code" have any interest ?
    Also for GPRMac: What do you think of "toolboxes" like the ones described above ?

Comments from other are also very welcome.

Keep the code smooth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are going to leave top toolbars out, I might suggest trying to get floating palettes in. I would imagine this is pretty tough coding, but it would be better, especially since many of us are familiar with the Adobe look.

Allow shortcuts for EVERY action taht you can perform in the ap. Definitely have shortcuts for every HTML tag and coding tag.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought *Cute FTP 3.5* at a great low-price package deal at student rates over a year ago and have found their *HTML & Map Programs* that were included to be worth the price.....which was only $20 for all three ~ What a deal!

*Cute HTML* has all the features that I need & it was the first editor that I used so I have become familiar with it. I can understand others needing or wanting more in an editing program and maybe later that may be the case with me.....Cute HTML & Dreamweaver are a match for me!

It is true that the "Grass is always Greener" but I don't want to spend any more $$ until there is something that I just can't resist in another similiar program, so I will stay with CUTE Programs and recommend them to others!

But keep the recommendations coming as there is something different for everyone
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Since you are going to leave top toolbars out, I might suggest trying to get floating palettes in. I would imagine this is pretty tough coding, but it would be better, especially since many of us are familiar with the Adobe look.
    Pardon my ignorance - "floating palettes" ??? I know a bit about PhotoShop, but I must admit that I've never heard the expression "floating palettes" before - would you mind explaining this please creole ?

Allow shortcuts for EVERY action taht you can perform in the ap. Definitely have shortcuts for every HTML tag and coding tag.
    Well - I've put in keyboard-shorcut keys for the most commonly used HTML tags - one can easily overdo things like this. I've also put in a special "code-sensitive" key, that will attempt to perform the action most likely to be wanted at your current location in code. Each code assistant has it's own key, same key combination with either shift or ctrl will call up the same builder instead of the assistant, havnt decided which of the two keys to use yet tho. I'm thinking about adding "auto-complete" functions to the editor too, but that may be too resource demanding. I'm experimenting with it at the moment.

Keep the code smooth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swell one worth waiting for!

The thought of leaving max space in the window without cluttering by tool bars is a cool idea.
    But It has become a habit by many - at least by wannabe's like me, to look for tool bar buttons in any window. But keyboard shortcuts is a good alternative since folks who use computers for long duration get fed up with mouse clicks owing to the strain and keyboard option is a boon.
    Do I understand correctly that your code assistant idea is to give tag-sensitive menu appropriate to the context? And I do not know if this possible, but can these options be made to appear on right-click?
    Will it have dialog-boxes like what you get a whole set of options for links, image, font(will font tag be replced by css?) etc?
    Will the drag-n-drop straightaway imprint the code or ask for selection.
    And about css and code snippets of javascrpt, dhtml etc?
    Will it conform to xhtml as well as earlier versions oh html.
    S.K
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is to have a right-click menu, or context menu, that will contain only relevant options for the current tag or script command. I'm planning to put a CSS editor inthere too, so yes there will be full support for CSS aswell. The Code Assistant will be "monitoring" the code you type in, and fill the context (right-click) menu with options that apply to the current code, and it will also make sure that the code-box resource window/frame will contain the properties of the current tag/command.
    I've also added a couple of "Builders" in the editor, each for a specific function. One of them is the Form Builder, that will allow you to visually design the look of your form, then paste the code into the editor for you. Comes with a preview function too.
    All the drag'n'drop (I call them Easy-Coding) functions will be configurable, but by default the code will just be dumped into the editor. The code dumped for say an image can be customized if needed, and there's an option to have it ask what you want to do with the "resource" your are "Easy-Coding" (dropping into the editor).

The newest resource window/frame that I have decided to add is a "small" database editor. I will be able to open Access 97 databases (DAO 3.0), display tables, fields, and relations in both design and actual data "mode". It will also be possible to create a new database directly from the editor, still in the same format as mentioned.

I have a bunch of things I need to finish before next week, but then I'll post a link to a feature description of "Eddie" as the editor is now called. I will try to explain everything in as great detail as I possibly can. Questions can be e-mailed to me from the site where I'm posting the description.

Keep the code smooth

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Micro$UX PWS doesnt allow PHP support, so I'm kind of stuck there.
    WRONG!
    Check this out:
    http://php.weblogs.com/easywindows
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well - I stand corrected by truelight. I checked the link you posted and downloaded the package. I'm now running on IIS on my server, and it seems that IIS accepted the installation and now supports PHP aswell.
    This 3rd party package is great. Runs smoothly and doesnt even affect the ASP running there.

Great tip truelight

Keep the code smooth

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use HTML-kit from www.chami.org. It has a lot of great features, including HTML-Tidy bundled in, so you can validate your code right in the editor. It also contains uploading features so you can check your CSS against the W3C or the Web Design Group's validators.

There are tons of pluggins that expand its usability for JavaScript, WMP, ASP, PHP, PERL, and so on.

Also, it's free.

Finally, if you've thought about converting code over to XHTML, its a snap with HTML-kit. It converts everything for you, letting you know what it did in the process.

Doug

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smashgorand

Pardon my ignorance - "floating palettes" ??? I know a bit about PhotoShop, but I must admit that I've never heard the expression "floating palettes" before - would you mind explaining this please creole ?

A floating palette is exactly that A palette containing the tools can be dragged around by you to wherever on the screen so that you feel comfortable. The palette 'floats' so that you can move. Get it?
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Doug Baker
    I use HTML-kit from www.chami.org.
    I just now d/loaded it from http://www.chami.com/
    (please note the url!)

It has a lot of great features
    Yet to unravel it fully!
    Thanks.
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smashgorand wrote:

>>The biggest problem and missing feature in all editors mentioned here by all, is that none of them have browser interface options for ASP files. What I really need from my editor is the ability to just punch a key to load/display the file in the browser - just like with HTML files. None of them seem to have an option that allows the user setup a "base-link" for the page, so it can be loaded in a browser. Say you are running PWS locally, and you'd like to display an ASP file in your browser. You always have to type in the URL manually - like http://localhost/mytestlogin/login.asp to load it. <<

Actually, Textpad lets you do this. Right-click in an ASP file, choose "View in browser", and it will automatically stick the http ... etc. on the front and load it up in your browser.

Veronica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone asked about windows resources?. Check out this:
    http://www.windows-help.net/techfile...resources.html

I also used to use Homesite, but each upgrade made the "hogging resources" issue worse. Allaire stated in one of their Forum responses to this issue that they do not support Windoze ME for use with Homesite. This would also apply to 95/98 since they are the same core.

This problem does not affect Windoze 2000 and NT since they have different cores and use memory resources differently.

Allaire has stated that they are well aware of these issues and they expect to have them addressed with v5.0, whenever that comes. But, they have said the same thing since v4.0!!!

For now I use EditPlus. It is Notepad on steroids! It even has built-in FTP.

Homesite, except for the "resources" issue is the best editor available. More features than even I know what to do with. I hope your new editor program will include all those wonderful Homesite features (except for hogging memory).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone ever used 1stPage2000? It's not too bad, imho.

But then again, I'm not a full-fledged designer, either.

http://www.evrsoft.com/download/

It's not too bad. There's a new version on the horizon, as well.

I've also been partial to Site-Aid in the past:

http://www.site-aid.com/
    ---------------------------------
    UnobUtt: http://www.unobutt.com/