SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips and tricks are always usefull to everyone, so here are a few from my collection.

If you have in mind to produce the HTML/ASP/PHP code for your page yourself, you may want to choose a different editor than notepad/textpad or similar.

Here's a german product called "MED Programmer's Text Editor". Here's a quote from the site :

MED is a powerful shareware text editor for programmers, currently available for the platforms Windows 9x/NT4.0/2000 and OS/2 PM.

MED's functionality is designed to be suitable for any text editing job. In addition MED provides a lot of features that support writing and compiling source code (C/C++, Java, HTML, VRML, REXX, Ada, Modula2, Pascal, Fortran, X86/MC68k Assembler, Perl, Clipper, TeX, Tcl/Tk, Matlab, etc.), that make MED a versatile IDE for any programming language.

Get MED - Programmers' Text Editor

If you are working with ASP code and web applications, you may want to check out "ASP Express", which is a full featured ASP editor. It has a few minor "problems" like remebering which font you setup for the editor, but it's one of the best rated ASP editors.

Site quote :

The FIRST Editor with each of these features:
    CDO Connection Assistant!
    ADO Connection Assistant!
    SQL statement builder!
    ASP Hit Counter Assistant!
    Always First - Always Best

Get ASP Express

I myself am a software developer aswell as web-designer, and I'm currently working on an alternative or combination of both above mentioned editors. It will contain project based development, drag'n'drop easy-coding, full support for usage of IIS/PWS, full online help/documentation for ASP 3.0 & HTML 4+ & VBScript/JScript.
    Comments on wanted features are very welcome.
    I will be posting a feature description of the product on the web soon, and when it's ready, I'll post a link to it here.

Sincerly
    Smashgorand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use an editor called TextPad (www.textpad.com) but I have recently converted to another editor called Editplus (www.editplus.com).

It rocks all over TextPad
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do everyone come with ASP editors and no-one makes any for PHP ?
    It's amazing ...
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Shin Ma :

"Why do everyone come with ASP editors and no-one makes any for PHP ?
    It's amazing ..."

About 8 years ago I started developing a HTML editor, that was a bit like the familiar notepad, but also had shortcut keys for the most commonly used HTML tags. I recently started re-creating the editor from scratch, because time had run out for it, and it was becoming a huge problem using it for my ASP development. I'm still in the development stage of the next generation of this editor. I've put in full support for HTML, VBScript, and ASP. I have been thinking about putting in support for JavaScript aswell as PHP support, however I don't have access to a personal web server that supports PHP. Micro$UX PWS doesnt allow PHP support, so I'm kind of stuck there.

When I originally started on ASP, I spent months looking for a good ASP editor, and kept running my head against a brick wall. Most editors claim to support ASP, but fact is - they don't, or only partially do. I'm well aware of the fact that editors for both ASP and PHP are needed tools for web developers of the world, which is why I'm rebuilding my original editor.
    I would like to add PHP support in my editor aswell, but I'm in lack of PHP "resources" because I only know ASP. From what I've seen sofar, there's really not that much difference between the two, or am I wrong about that ?

I've constructed the editor in such a way, that the actual support for either "language" (HTML, VBScript, ASP) is done through a kind of "plug-in" or "add-on module" that can be "installed" in the editor, simply by dumping the library in the program folder. Such a support-module could also be developed for PHP, and thereby adding support for same in the editor. Would this have your interest ?
    Please note that I'm still developing the editor and that it currently only runs on the Windows platform(s). Once completed it will be released as shareware. I will be posting a feature-description of the editor at my site in the near future.

Keep the code smooth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UltraEdit32 impressed me so much I bought a license for it! Shareware from www.ultraedit.com

The feature list is almost absurd (I reckon I only use about a fifth of the features in there) but it's easy to set it up just how you like it. It does syntax highlighting for over 50 languages (provided you download the correct word file for that language from the site), it has a bulit in FTP client, does HEX editing, search and replace which supports regular expressions, spell checking, HTML syntax checking, multiple file search replace and a whole ton of other stuff.

The trial period is 45 days so there's more than enough time to fall in love with this superb editor.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes

Would be interested in php coder. There are some in existence, but none that have dragged me away from notepad (please note I am pretty much a php novice still).

As for a personal web server configurable for php - apache!

You can download apache web server here: http://httpd.apache.org/

Keep us posted!

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To TheOriginalH :

Thanx a bunch for the tip on "apache". I didnt know a PC (Windows) version was in existance, but I sure will check it out. I've aquired some reading material on PHP today, so I will get started on PHP aswell.

(To all)

I am curious to know if VBScript can be used with PHP, or if it's only JavaScript (JScript) ?

I will keep posting info on the editor here, until I've completed the feature description of the editor, and uploaded it to my site.

Keep the code smooth

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For mac-users: BBEdit. there's nothing, absolutely nothing better! except of the built-in codewarrior editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dima...I cannoit agree with your more. I can't stand the Mac personally, but I would buy one just to be able to run BBEdit. It is the single best Text editor on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didn't zend just come up with a php ide? sounds like that could be good
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    Why do everyone come with ASP editors and no-one makes any for PHP ?
    It's amazing ...
    if you want php editors visit:
    http://www.itworks.demon.co.uk/phpeditors.htm
    http://v-sector.com - Webhosting $7.95
    http://v-resources.com - Free Webmaster Resources
    http://v-redirect.com - Free URL Redirection

I believe you have my stapler. scrubz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Skunk's plug for UltraEdit32. I use to swear by HomeSite, but it's absolutely murderous to system resources. HomeSite is a resource hog and keeps eating away at resources until your computer cries to be rebooted. I do run HomeSite at work and it seems fine on Win 2000 Pro, but I avoid it elsewhere. UltraEdit is loaded with good stuff.

And yes, BBEdit for the Mac rocks. I've been a loyal BBEdit user for years, and it's my first choice on a Mac.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use cuteHTML.

Thats all I need for whatever language. Keep things simple.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using CuteHTML for a long time. But that UltraEdit program looks nice. I'm going to give it a try, but I still recommend Cute.
    Mark Wright
    Wrightsites.com - Better Hosting. Better Price.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one uses HomeSite?

I canít believe no one uses Allair's HomeSite. I personally feel itís BBEdit for Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EditPlus is what I use. Keeps things nice and easy

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: No one uses HomeSite?

Originally posted by Mousavi
    I canít believe no one uses Allaire's HomeSite. I personally feel itís BBEdit for Windows.
    I used to (and still have it on my HD); the only problem I had with it was it tended to occasionally hog my RAM when I didn't want it to (read: running other intensive applications). It's still pretty darn good.

EditPlus combined with DreamWeaver are my tools of choice at this point in time.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same experience with the newer versions of HomeSite. Used to use it all the time too. I still have the old verison 1.2 and still use that one from time to time.

The biggest problem and missing feature in all editors mentioned here by all, is that none of them have browser interface options for ASP files. What I really need from my editor is the ability to just punch a key to load/display the file in the browser - just like with HTML files. None of them seem to have an option that allows the user setup a "base-link" for the page, so it can be loaded in a browser. Say you are running PWS locally, and you'd like to display an ASP file in your browser. You always have to type in the URL manually - like http://localhost/mytestlogin/login.asp to load it. My editor will feature this option, but you will have to run project based to do it, which you'd do anyways since working with ASP files in a web application is project based, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Keep the code smooth

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smashgorand
    I am curious to know if VBScript can be used with PHP, or if it's only JavaScript (JScript) ?
    Are you talking about PHP or ASP? Both the languages you mention can be used for ASP. However, PHP is a unique language of its own but base on C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smashgorand
    What I really need from my editor is the ability to just punch a key to load/display the file in the browser.
    Editplus can do this, so can Textpad and other text editors.

They have user-configurable shortcut keys that allow you to access ANY function used by the program(s). All you do is press the keys.

Another option is to have the editor and a browser open. Press save in the editor, then ALT+TAB to the browser, hit CTRL+R to refresh.

simple as cake. NO ONE knows more shortcuts than I do!!!

<offtopic>
    I bought a book called "Photoshop Power Shortcuts". It listed all but two of Photoshop 5.5's and Image Ready 2's shortcuts, over 600 of them.

I knew almost all of them.
    </offtopic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most editors allow browser configuration for one or more keys, but none of them support the ability to configure for usage with say PWS - i.e. there's no way to configure any of the known editors to jump to http://localhost/mytestlogin/????.asp - where ????.asp is the file in the editor at this time. I must have tested somewhere between 15 and 20 editors for this feature and none - I repeat *NONE* of them allowed this option. I could configure to run with Internet Explorer or with Netscape Navigator, but they didnt allow me to configure a partial URL that would then be used instead.

I know that most editors can be configured. I havnt worked with computers for 18 years for nothing.

I will try to change this in my own editor.

Keep the code smooth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah...I see what you are getting at. No, none of the editors that I have used can jump to, and refresh a page inside of w webserver.

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver and EditPlus is my ultimate combination.

EditPlus supports all the languages I need, HTML, PHP, C++, they support colour code a whole bunch of other languages as well.

As for that browser support thingee, I usually go Save, Alt+Tab than F5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vote for Homesite!

Originally posted by scrubz
    I use to swear by HomeSite
    I still do that - swear by..., not swear at!
    but it's absolutely murderous to system resources. HomeSite is a resource hog and keeps eating away at resources until your computer cries to be rebooted
    Resources should not be a problem in these days when the the prices of RAM and HDD's are touching the ocean floor!
    But, think of the cute little drop-down menu popping up when you try to start a code with "<" sign! And the menu is context-related - it comes on Bingo when you press space. That way you can avoid typos in the coding.
    Add to it the ftp, resources, topstile css integration and a host of other features.
    I give it the Oscars and Grammy's !
    Cheers!
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what kind of programming language was used to write HomeSite, but it sure eats resources. I've written some pretty huge applications over the time, but none of them ate as many resources as HomeSite does.
    The cute "code-popups" will also become a part of my editor, because they - as S.K. mentioned - prevent typos. I've been forced to do it a bit differently tho, because my current programming language can't tell me the pixel x/y position of the cursor, which prevents me from putting the code-popup in the right spot. Instead I've made a code assistant that constantly changes acording to the code you type. The code assistant has an option where you can click a button, and then use a wizard to setup the tag/function you are writing with all properties/attributes/options.

Keep the code smooth