SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)

Hi all,
    I got Win2000 and I just developed an intranet solution installed on my web server (IIS). The application worked nicely and there were not any problems. Few days ago I re - installed win2000 and I installed the IIS and my intranet solution but there is an error and the application doens't operate correctly with the Access database.
    When it tries to retrieve data from the database the following error appears:

Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    Unspecified error

The line of the code which is indicated by the error is the following:

objConn.Open("Provider = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source = "&loc&"; Jet OLEDBatabase Password="&passwd)

I updated Microsoft JET and MDAC. But just yesterday I went through the localhost web page and then I visited the web page of my application. In this way the error with the Microsoft Jet engine disappeared. I still don't know why but I repeated this procedure more times and everything works fine. If I try to connect directly to the url of the application (which is a virtual dir on the web server) I got the same problem.
    If I go to localhost and then visit my application it works.

But it is not all. I noticed that if I stop browsing my application web site, after some minutes, I got the same error with the Microsoft JET engine.

Can someone explain me the reasons of this strange behaviour?
    How can I resolve it?

Thanks,

Ddz

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does your variable loc contain? I'm guessing your using server.mappath right? I always seemed to get this error at random using server.mappath so now I just use physical paths to my database.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoloid
    What does your variable loc contain? I'm guessing your using server.mappath right? I always seemed to get this error at random using server.mappath so now I just use physical paths to my database.
    Hi,
    loc = "C:/db4.mdb" . I'm not using server.mappath. I just refer to phisical path.

I really don't know why I'm facing this strange behaviour.

ddz