SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arabic in the title bar??

This site:
    http://www.arabia.com/

Has Arabic in the title bar. Are Arabic characters part of the standard ASCII character set?

I looked in the source and found those same characters within the title tag. I would have thought I would have had to install a special character pack to get that stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do. To me they just all show as a bunch of o's. The characters do not show.
    Maarten

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are Arabic characters part of the standard ASCII character set?
    Good grief, no. but the clue is in the source code:
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    That's a Unicode character encoding, that is. Unicode gives you a bit more to play around with than just the boring old latin alphabet.
    I looked in the source and found those same characters within the title tag. I would have thought I would have had to install a special character pack to get that stuff.
    Nowadays, I suspect that most popular operating systems include at least one or two fonts for many of the major alphabet systems of the world as standard. Pictographic character sets (like Chinese) are a whole different ball game, though.

For me, the unicode page I linked above quite happily displays text in Arabic, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Persian, Russian, Thai, and Uyghur, but messes up text in Amharic, Blin, two flavours of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Tigrigna. No doubt if I went berserk downloading language packs from Windows Update, I might gain a few more.

This is an area where things are improving quite rapidly year-by-year. Older OS's/Browsers can be much worse than up-to-the-minute systems (and I include Windows 9x, NT, and probably even 2000 in that "older")