User Tag List

Thread: Help for a 486

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Help for a 486

I have had my 486 for a LONG time, and i wish to install Linux on it. I have two drives. For the purpose of this forum I will call the two gig drive D; and the half of a gig drive C. I need to install Linux on the D drive, but the D drive is set as the primary slave. I need to set the D drive to the primary master, and the C drive to the primary slave or the secondary master. I dont know to ways to do this, and I need help BADLY!!! I know it has to do with cahnging the jumpers, and BIOS too.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Hey Robert,

Welcome to Sitepoint.

If you know the make and model of the HD's go online and try to get a users manual for them, and I'd do the same thing for your motherboard too, to see if there are any jumpers that might need to be configured on the MoBo.

I'm by no means an expert and a lot depends on the actual hardware you have installed, but I would say you need to basically set the jumpers properly on your hard drives and be sure the cables are plugged in properly, then start things up with a boot disk and reformat your drives. Next you'll probably have to play around in your bios and be sure it knows which drives are to be used as master and slave - but again, knowing next to nothing about your system I really can't say for certain here.

Any chance you know a friend or family member who can actually take a look at your system and help you out? That's what I'd REALLY recommend you do, but you can't do much damage if you want to go the old trial and error route, although it can be frustrating trying to get older systems to work properly with anything other than their original OS.

That's why I stick to building new boxes with Windows XP - but one of these days I want to try a Linux install for kicks.

HTH some,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I remember, it doesn't matter which disk it installs it on as you can span the installation across the 2 disks. I think.....

Are you planning on using both discs for Linux?
    Baz
    ---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you could easily install a /boot partition on the smaller drive plus possibly add /home to it too and then have the main root (/) partition on the larger drive.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually the label on the HDDs themselves will detail how to set the jumper(s). Otherwise the PCB on the bottom of the HDD will often list the function of the jumpers (CS, SL, MA, or another combination, like CS, PK (slave), DS (master)).
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.