SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have noticed that some sites enable you to go to www.theirsite.com/e-mail which looks more professional than www.theirsite.com/e-mail.html - how do i get rid of the .html bit without causing problems??? I have found that wheni delet it, though the site works fine to begin with, if you then click "back" on your browser you are faced with loads of HTML!!!

Can anyone suggest how this could be achieved without the problem i am having?? It is so much easier to refer someone to a page /here than it is /here.html!

I look forward to replies,

internationally

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a big, big difference here :

www.theirsite.com/e-mail.html refers to the HTML page 'e-mail.html' sitting in the main directory of www.theirsite.com

www.theirsite.com/e-mail however refers to the sub-directory 'e-mail', which sits one level under the main directory of www.theirsite.com

To use the second option, create a new sub-directory, 'e-mail', and copy all relevant files into this sub-directory. Rename the file 'e-mail.html' to 'index.html' and that *should* help.

Is that clear?
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?? Sub directory

Sorry if a appear a little dumb, but could you describe to be what you mean by a "sub-directory" - what is it, how do i create one and how would this be uploaded and be implemented in the site??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know how to do FTP?
    If Yes, we can proceed further.
    And to be precise, it is www.yoursite.com/email/ not www.yoursite.com/email
    S.K
    Last edited by S.K; Mar 30, 2001 at 05:30.
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's basically a website inside another website.

If you type the directory http://www.myweb.com the browser will automatically detect the index/default page for that website and display it. The same rule applies for a sub directory. The url http://www.myweb.com/email will cause the browser to search for a page under that directory called either default.htm or index.htm and display it. If that page doesn't exist, you'll get an error message something along the lines of 'You are not authorized to view this page'.

Creating a sub directory is easy enough, if your ISP will allow it. Not all do. You simply add a folder to your current web directory and use FTP to upload the files to that folder, in the same way as you would upload to your main web.

Is this understandable? I know what I'm trying to explain, so what I've typed makes sense to me but it might not to anyone else!!!

Saz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saz249
    It's basically a website inside another website.

If you type the directory http://www.myweb.com the browser will automatically detect the index/default page for that website and display it. The same rule applies for a sub directory. The url http://www.myweb.com/email will cause the browser to search for a page under that directory called either default.htm or index.htm and display it. If that page doesn't exist, you'll get an error message something along the lines of 'You are not authorized to view this page'.
    Well, if i may slightly differ a little, under such circumstances when you don't have a default or index page the direcrory will be indexed on the browser.
    If you had inserted a .htaccess file with the entry, Options: -Indexes, or if your server is configured so, you'll get a message like "You are not authorised......"

Creating a sub directory is easy enough, if your ISP will allow it. Not all do. You simply add a folder to your current web directory and use FTP to upload the files to that folder, in the same way as you would upload to your main web.
    In fact almost all FWP's and ALL paid hosts will permit you to make sub directories. If you are using a FTP client, you will find a "MkDir" button on the remote server pane and click on it to give a name for the new (sub-)directory on the root directory and say "Ok".
    If you use the web-based site manager type, there will be a button in most cases to create a directory (a k a folder)
    HTH.
    I'll try to be more lucid, if you shout!
    gasp....
    S.K
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!