Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am searching for ways to learn these:

1: HTML
    2: Macromedia Flash and Freehand
    3: Adobe Photoshop and possibly Adobe Livemotion

I have bought books. They did not help. Online websites, which I also tried, did not help. What else can I do? I am trying my hardest to learn, but I just cant find a way to learn it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you cna't lern from books nor online? go for course. if still cannot...*goosh*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Squank,

Don't give up, but maybe pick one thing at a time. When you get a handle on that, move to the next one.

HTML is a good start because it doesn't require expensive software and lots of people know it, so there's always help.

Personally I (and one or two others around this place) learn't HTML by playing around with a little web application called Arachnophilia. It has lots of friendly buttons and good tutorials. It doesn't cost a dime either.

You just put some text in, highlight it and try a button. Maybe try the bold button, then press the PREVIEW button to see what that piece of code looks like when your browser looks at it. Then UNDO that and try another button to see what that does. I did that for about 5 weeks. Keep the book with you to for reference.

It always takes some time to learn anything that is really useful, but the payoff is worth it.

Good luck
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I personally learnt html through the usage of WYSIWYG editors.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try learning from someone you know...

I've done some HTML teaching before and I find the best way someone learns is that I get them to design a personal web site.. gives them a project, and you say, okay, add these elements, think about how you want it to look, sketch it out on paper, or at least have a rough idea, and then play around and check out web site tutorials to find it.

Best way to learn is to do it. Best way to do it is if you have something to do.

<---- WhatEver
    ---> pFFt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.
    Arachnophilia and FirstPage 2000 (Both freewares) let you have a split screen with the editor portion on one side (either divided horizontally or vertically) and the browser on the other so that whatever code and text you type on the editor is rendered on the browser split window in real time.
    So, IMHO it is better to start hand coding than using WYSIWYG editors - if you want to learn fast!
    Hope I am not too far off the mark!
    Cheers!
    S.K
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~ Squank~ Don't feel intimidated or overwelmed that you must learn everything in the field of web design overnight as there are no quick steps involved, no matter who tells you they learned it all in 24 hours!

The two best suggestions that I can give you starting out is to be sure that you have a good understanding of HTML so that you are able to modify when necessary (no WYSIWYG is fool proof) AND second the very simple act of 'Trial & Error'. You will learn more by experimenting with the various programs than any book can teach you.....by combining reference materials (online and hardback) and working with the many different web programs you will be headed in the right direction!

From there it is a merely a matter of time that involves searching the web and getting recommendations for resources that you can bookmark for future reference ~ I have over 2,000+ and it is continually growing. Even on the websites below you will find additional resources for other web design sites -- click to those.....& on & on from one resource to another. Just start bookmarking the best reference websites and build from there....!

HTML Goodies ~ great resource & tip site:
    http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/

WebMonkey ~ includes quick refences such as HTML:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/

Web Design & HTML Tutorials:
    http://www.pagetutor.com/

PageResource - The Web Design Resource:
    http://www.pageresource.com/

Web Design Resources - About.com ~ various links to a wide variety of subjects:
    http://webdesign.about.com/compute/webdesign/

::::::::::

For a great little HTML Editor that's *Free* you need to try *1st Page* from Evrsoft which is in the process of upgrading to Version III but will still be *Free*.
    Download 1st Page @ http://www.evrsoft.com/download/

Make a point that you don't buy any web program until you try them out first ~ You need to find the best one for you! Most have 30 day trials and can be found on the program's website ~ if not search at http://download.cnet.com/

* * AND always be sure to return to SitePoint for any assistance or answers to your questions and check our own "WebMasterBase Tutorials" - http://www.webmasterbase.com/tutorials/ ~ which includes not only intereactive tutorials for *Arachnophilia*, which member AlexW suggested in a previous post, but various other software programs that you may be interested in down the line.....Good luck from WebKat
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I have experienced previous versions of Arachnophilia. I actually didn't like it.

I also downloaded 1st page which is great!

I bookmarked the websites which I just looked at. (Thanks
    WebKat).

The reason I am trying to learn all these programs at a short time period is because me and a friend of mine are going to start a site soon.

He knows a great deal of C++, HTML, ASP, and adobe photoshop.

One of the sites, webkat gave me, Htmlgoodies.com. I have a book of HTML on it actually. It is actually a very good book, but I am having a hard time learning from it.

Getting a course on these subjects is a great idea, but I find that they are expensive and I probably wont afford them.

Thanks again for the help.
    Hopefully something good happens in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I don't have much advice to give you - I think others really summed that all up for you. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you however - trying to learn various programs myself etc.
    For most I do have books that I'm getting some information from, plus these boards and just playing around really does teach you alot.

Anyway, like I said - I have no real advice, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone out there. It does seem so overwhelming - I know, but just take your time and handle one thing at a time!

Good luck!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also something that is really valuable to all web designers is simply the right click 'VIEW SOURCE'. I learned heaps early on by looking at others peoples source code, saving a copy, rewriting bits, combining parts from other pages. This is easy, instructive, free and you know the code works. We all do it still.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable