SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I create my own ActiveX components to use in ASP?

hello!!
    Friends please guide me How do I create my own ActiveX components to use in ASP?

Thanks
    Laxy
    www.funspot.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking to create COM components (that are instanted with CreateObject) or a client side ActiveX control? (I am confused as you say 'to use in ASP')

In either case, although you can use other languages, the most suitable is C++. If you don't already know this, I think few would be willing to offer to guide you through for free. Best google for a few tutorials and get the hang of C++ first.
    Good free C++ compilers are available from Borland (Free Command Line tools 5.5), Microsoft (Visual C++ Toolkit 2003) or the MingW project (I dont have much experience with this though) to get you started.
    Once you know C++ you could use ATL (with a little persuasion in non-MS compilers).
    Visual Studio and Borland C++ Builder have wizards for creating skeletons for you but they cost s.

The short answer is post in the trading post.
    Hope this helps.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, that said, if you really really want to you can use Visual Basic, which is a lot easier. There is an article on 4guysfromrolla for COM objects.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should choose a language for your component depending on the language you use in ASP. If you're using javascript, use C++ since the syntax is similar. If you're using vbscript, use Visual Basic. This will just make it easier on ya.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laxy_m
    hello!!
    Friends please guide me How do I create my own ActiveX components to use in ASP?

Thanks
    Laxy
    www.funspot.com
    My first question is... What functionality are you looking for from your component?

You'll need to register a component on the server before using it and this could cause some trouble if it isn't your server. A method that doesnt require registration is through the use Windows Script Host components. Here's some info about different components: http://www.asp101.com/articles/wrox/2882/28820104.asp
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development