SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty familiar with design problems/differences associated with the various ways that NS 4.xxx and IE.5.xxx. I have IE 5.5 and NS 4.75 on my computer for testing but will not download NS 6. Have just heard too many horror stories about problems and am not willing to risk it. I know that CNET retracted its earlier better rating and gave it a rating of 4 out of 10 as a result of numerous problems encountered by users.

Like it or not the fact is, it's out there and some people will be viewing our sites with it. Do any SitePoint members know what the known design issues are that should/could be avoided in planning design layout such as rendering of tables, css, backgrounds and such? Don't see how we can just ignore it.

Have seen a lot of complaints about it but nothing specific as to what may need to be addressed in planning a design layout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    allie...the way I look at it is, if you are designing your pages properly for IE 4 + 5 and NS 4, then you won't have any problems with NS 6.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll just lit down some of the 'major' issues

1) try no to use DOCTYPE, if so, rmeove the link as mozilla is still buggy when renderingbaed on the type.

there are some complications involved when using doctype. shan't discuss ithere.

2) inevitably, there might be some vertical/horizontal white lines along your design....thats bug in mozilla. if you try toexpand the left panel of mozilla, thelines disappear.

i can't remeebr any off my mind or now, but make sure you check the mozilla bug page. thanks
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard the horror stories too, allie, but personally I've had no problems with NS6, either set up or operational. In fact I quite enjoy using it. I did completely uninstall 4.7 first, installed 6.0, then re-installed 4.7 in completely separate folder. It's run fast and smooth. Even supports a few really nice CSS properties that IE5 doesn't (in particular the dotted line property on box borders. It also seems to construct pages in a different order to IE, so half-loaded pages look kinda strange if you're used to IE.

Otherwise it renders remarkably similarly to IE5.

Still, if I was building a lot of websites I'd want to have a version NS6 handy at testing time. If you don't want to risk a normal install, maybe look at either chasing up an old pentium100 to use for NS6/IE4 testing, or maybe partitioning your drive for a dual boot . Maybe a 98 install for work and a 95 install for testing each with a different selection of browsers. Worth thinking about.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dudes, time to rid your drive ofnetscape 6 and grab mozilla 0.8.1 if you are betatesting, or even wanna try it out! its thenewest build of the 'netscape' engine
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape

Netscape 6 has a lot wrong with it - not just in the way that it displays websites but the actual program itself.

Netscape 6 takes an age to startup on my PC with 256MB Ram and 800MHz CPU!
    5thFusion.com Reliable Linux Hosting
    http://www.5thfusion.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you sure? hmm..
    have oyu tried mozilla 0.8.1? not netscape 6?

netscape 6 is based upon an early preview of mozilla, of which hasn't begun the optimisation yet.

from ....0.7 i think...they slowly increased the loading speed..now..its uquite fast!

go grab 0.8.1 at http://www.mozilla.org
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably have to cut all browser some slack on load times when you compare it to IE for no other reason than IE is already mostly loaded as part of the operating system. Time something like Word 2000's load time and you've got a fairer comparison.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by AlexW
    You probably have to cut all browser some slack on load times when you compare it to IE for no other reason than IE is already mostly loaded as part of the operating system. Time something like Word 2000's load time and you've got a fairer comparison.
    yeah..think about the integration of ie into windows..

then again....how about netscape on linux?
    i guess if you want speed, ie goes for windows, and netscaoe for linux

nothing beats that
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes but.....

I have NS 4.7 and 6 on my main dev pc at work (PIII 700 with 256 mhz ram). NS 6 does indeed take aeons to load, and while NS 4.7 is slower than IE, it is miles quicker than 6......

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in IE4, you had the option of whether on not you wanted to load IE as an extension for the GUI or as a standalone, but ever since win98 and/or IE5, it has loaded IE when windows is loaded.

If you remember win95 and IE4, I once had it installed without the GUI extensions, and the load time for it was very long.

Now, rather than taking ages to start the browser, it just causes your entire GUI to start slowly.

That's one major reason why IE is best for win98 or later, because it is built in. I'm not saying I like or dislike this fact, but that's just the way Microsoft have made it.

[mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course the flip side of that is that when IE finds a page that it can't handle and flips out, it often takes down important system processes with it, which you can't get back till you restart.

I've never had Netscape take down Explorer or Systray when it has blown up in my face.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by AlexW
    Of course the flip side of that is that when IE finds a page that it can't handle and flips out, it often takes down important system processes with it, which you can't get back till you restart.

I've never had Netscape take down Explorer or Systray when it has blown up in my face.
    Definitely.
    But recently in IE5.5, they have this error reporting etc. haha..maybe a trick or something..it restarts the browser for you. But done'st crash the system when an error occurs
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been enlightened by this thread, thanks guys

Now I will know why I want to throw my monitor out of the window every few hours, even if not how to fix it (although I'm thinking about monkeying with linux ...)
    H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS