User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    I am getting used to now clicking on the FORUMS logo to return to the Communuty homepage. What I think we need now is a tect link at the bottom of the pages to return to the Community home, otherwise we need to scroll to the top of the page to click on the forums logo.
    In the bottom links it says:
    HOME - SITEPOINT.COM - CONTACT US - ABOUT SITEPOINT - MEDIAKIT - PRIVACY POLICY - GUIDELINES

The Home link goes to the index page.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by boredboi
    its great
    just that it has slowed down the site tremendously

now that each page is nested in a whole table
    i have to wait for the whole page to load before i can even see anything.
    in the past, the posts would load one by one, not all at once

i only have a 56k!!

it might be better to have the header as one table, the main section as another, and the footer as a 3rd table. the bluish columns at both sides can be removed as they only take up space. i would rather the white area take up 100% width.
    Ditto here, as well. It seems that while everything is beautiful, that it takes much longer to load because it has to load everything first, not more gradually for us modem users/losers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne...please tell me that you don't do all of your SP work on a dial-up!

please don't let it be so...
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops sorry Wayne, I have had problems with my cache though! it took about 4 days for my ISP to actually show me all the new graphics, I was loading half old anf half new.

hey and what's wrong with dial-up (everything ), I have a dial-up!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on 56k and SPF loads faster than it did before if you ask me, besides which it also looks a lot better, it's got a much more professional feel to it now.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the new changes but I've got a couple of gripes.

I really don't like the css applied to the form elements. This can be done with nice effect but IMHO Sitepoint hasn't. I'd prefer just plain old form elements than what you've got at the moment.

Also, as all posts are now contained in one table if you're posting to a thread where someone has posted code that is very wide, then the submit/preview/spell check buttons can 'disappear'. As they're contained in a centered paragraph block they get centered in the cell. When this happens you can end up right scrolling just to click the buttons.

No offence meant by these comments, just my humble opinions.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How strange, I quite like the effects on the form objects I think they make them mroe user friendly. Maybe eventually, you will be able to apply your own choice of CSS file which you can edit to your hearts content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there definitely is something wrong

it took 70 seconds to load the front page
    26 seconds to load the News & Announcements page
    133 seconds to load this page

i stared at a bluish gray page with just the header, for 133 seconds before everything suddenly showed up.

it used to take 5 seconds for the page to load, and then the posts would show 1 by 1... at least i had something to read as the page slowly loaded, but now i have to wait ages.

when i press the back button it takes about 20 seconds to load the cached page

its the tables i say!!

i going to sitepointforums less and less now
    i just cannot surf pages that take minutes to load, no matter how nice the content is.

(edit)

i've just turned off all the graphics on my browser, and it takes about 90 seconds instead of the 133...

i've looked at the source code... why must the "topic-table" one big table?

(/edit)
    Last edited by boredboi; Mar 31, 2001 at 23:24.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boredboi,

If you click on the Profile (link or button above) then click on 'Edit Options' you will now see a new list of options down the middle part of the page which allow you to configure what you will/won't download on SP. You can switch off Avatars, go to a slimmer SP style, etc. etc. That should considerably reduce the speed.

As for the topic tables, I believe that is the default set for vB 2 templates.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~ boredboi ~ There have been many upgrades and changes recently to SitePoint and the community forum BUT the connection speeds that you mentioned would be unreasonable for anyone!

=====>> What do you connect at??? Cable, DSL, T1/T3, modem speed, etc, etc..........Do other pages load quickly or is it just SitePoint???

I only just recently changed from a *pathetic 26.4K* modem and *finally* was able to have cable installed but I haven't had any loading problems *knock on cyberwood*. Slow or incomplete page loading can be a result of both the viewer as well as the website itself.....and sometimes it can be difficult to tell which is at fault.

Even such mundane things as clearing out your Cache or reducing the number of browser windows that are open at the same time can make a world of difference in the speed & way that web pages load!

So *please* let us know your computer/connection stats ~ or any other specific details ~ when you visit SitePoint because the # of minutes that it took for you to view our website pages would be frustrating for anyone!

Rest assured that we don't want to lose your participation in the SitePoint Forum and we will do all that we can to make it a positive experience as there are many web resources & articles on this site that you wouldn't want to miss .....WebKat
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by BC
    You can switch off Avatars, go to a slimmer SP style, etc. etc. That should considerably reduce the speed.
    i already turned off all the graphics in my browser...
    it helps, but its still very frustrating.

webkat, i have a 56k modem
    other pages load reasonably faster
    the old sitepoint loaded much more quickly, and as i said, the loaded part by part, while this new version loads all at once.

i don't clear my cache frequently
    so its not my browser's problem
    unless my browser can automatically clear the cache every second

it was the only window open
    no icq, no irc no other bandwidth-using application

i don't want to leave sitepoint
    sigh
    i think i better persuade my parents to get broadband

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after hours of surfing sitepointforums in frustration
    i've finally decided i'm not going to come back here until the site gets better or i get broadband

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on 56k and page load times are fine.
    Maybe your line is bad quality? Try speaking to the phone company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argh
    i'm too addicted to stop.

my phone quality is bad but other sites still load quickly...
    i'm at a total lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new look, but the nested table thing is really bugging me. It's not the loading times that annoy me so much as the horizontal scroll bars.

I hang around the server side scripting forums a lot, as that is my main interest within web design. A lot of people post code on those forums, and this frequently causes a horizontal scrollbar.

In the previous forum layout each post was in it's own table and there was no huge table containing all of them. This meant that the post with the code in would need you to horizontally scroll to read it, but other posts in the same thread would remain unaffected. Unfortunately the new design makes all post suffer from the dreaded scroll bar, and to add insult to injury you even have to scroll when you get to the bottom of the thread if you want to click the "reply" button.

This is extremely irritating, and in my opinion far outweighs the good points of the new design provided by the extra navigation at the top.

Any chance of a slight rethink on that point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Skunk
    It's not the loading times that annoy me so much as the horizontal scroll bars.
    What are you on, 640x860? That explains it. It should look fine on 800x600 and above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it doesn't, if there are long segments of code as he said. Even on my 1600x1200, with IE maximized, I somewhat frequently have to scroll in code-heavy threads. And, as pointed out, it wouldn't be so bad if the whole thing wasn't in one large table, because not all of the posts would be that width.

To whomever said that one big table is in the default vB2 templates, there is a table that wraps all the way around, but for some reason, the default templates allow a post with a large <pre> section to be extended, while the other posts in that thread aren't. Check out this thread to see what I mean. You might have to resize your browser window to see it, but if you get the window small enough, you will see that only synx's post extends out to the side. All of the others are the normal width (they conform to browser-window-width).
    Kevin

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was me I stand corrected on the one whole big table *wacks head*
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)