SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see we have implemented a new look for the SitePoint Forums here.

Many people have asked for better integration for the community with the rest of the network so that SitePoint related links were easier to find and get to. I feel that this new layout offers that integration without losing our separate and unique outlook from the rest of the Network. Of course I am always open to suggestions.

New Features
    1. The vBCode buttons has been redone and this is now a standard feature within vBulletin.
    2. Besides having the ability to turn off signatures you have the ability to turn off User Avatars. This is good if you want to save bandwidth or have less clutter on the screen.
    3. Another new feature is the the ability to post attachments. This enables you to upload small scripts and code samples as well as images to your posts. If you wish you can show images as links so you don't have to download them by default.

To turn on these features visit your PersonalControl Panel.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a bug in your HTML

Wayne...your footer text links are overlapping the bottom image in your table. linked is a screenshot take in IE 5.5 for the PC.

http://www.gravitydigital.com/misc_uploads/capture.gif

Also on another note, I personally would rather have a white text field to enter info into. THe greyish-blue color you have chosen blends too well with the scroll bars on the text field.

I prefer white.

also, I don't see where it gives me the option to attach an image
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this problem: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=19564

Also, in IE the signitures are nice and big as well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet

WOW. I like! I like!
    Hmm ... although the box I'm typing in right now is a bit odd

Really sweet how this looks. And nice and tight integration with the rest of sitepoint!

Good job

Have a great day,

Mike
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Justin S
    I have this problem: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=19564

Also, in IE the signitures are nice and big as well.
    Signatures are fixed...
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: a bug in your HTML

Originally posted by creole
    [B]Wayne...your footer text links are overlapping the bottom image in your table. linked is a screenshot take in IE 5.5 for the PC.

http://www.gravitydigital.com/misc_uploads/capture.gif
    Three lousy characters at 800 X 600 Fixed.
    Also on another note, I personally would rather have a white text field to enter info into. THe greyish-blue color you have chosen blends too well with the scroll bars on the text field.

I prefer white.
    Will review this.
    also, I don't see where it gives me the option to attach an image
    Should be at the bottom of the new reply and new thread templates just above the Submit Button... It says "Attach File" and lists the valid extensions under the form elements.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it! Good job. The option to turn off Avatars is nice. Threads have been loading slower, it seems, since almost everyone uses Avatars...
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W Luke...I think that I viewed this thread before the "upload" box was actually showing on the site. I know it wan't there when I posted that message. I see it now though.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy not to accept changes as easily as you should when they happen frequently. And SitePoint has evolved quite a lot over the last year, sometimes frustrating existing members~

But I was out of commission for a few months and didn't visit the site or the forums. When I came back I really loved all the many changes ~~ although I am a creature of habit, I love having new features to play around with and all the new options are great ~ Good Going SitePoint ~
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with you WebKat. I love the new colors, they really integrate into the main site. The only thing that I really do not like is the fact that the logo links to www.sitepoint.com instead of www.sitepointforums.com. however, if that link were to change we would need to change the logo to say SitePointForums.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the new look alot. i think that it ties the sites together quite nicely. there is only one element that i don't like and that is the banner ad. before the redesign, the banner ad was sort of part of the header and now it's lower and a bit more "obvious". i didn't mind it as much when it was in the top right.

i guess maybe it's catching my more because it's placed on a white background now. just something to consider. but......whatever. i still like the new look.

great job !!!
    . . . chris

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    Another new feature is the the ability to post attachments. This enables you to upload small scripts and code samples as well as images to your posts. If you wish you can show images as links so you don't have to download them by default.[/list]
    To turn on these features visit your PersonalControl Panel.
    I visited my Personal Control Panel and made some changes, but I was unable to find a feature that would allow me to post attachments.
    David F. Prenatt, Jr.
    Chief Evangelist, Wherewithal Search

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Attachment Feature*

You need to go to *Edit Options* which you can click at the top of of your personal control panel. Then you are able to modify to post attachments under *Display Options* when you edit your profile ~ You will see the following:

"Show image attachments and [img] code in Posts?
    Selecting no will show a hyperlink instead"

Find it If problems let us know.....
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

I didn't have much to do with this upgrade but commenting on a few of the points raised.
    - Yes. The ad at the top is a little more prominient than it was, but obviously any banner that is completely ignorable is not much use to the company who placed it, and by extension Sitepoint itself. We have a lot of people that volunteer their time in these forums every day that we would really love to reward more fully, whether that be in financial terms, tshirts, hardware or whatever. That obviously requires revenue from somewhere

Its also worth considering that since the average forum post (with one banner) is quite a bit longer than the average article the percentage of ad vs. content would be much lower in the forums than the rest of the SitePoint.

On Nicky's point on the logo link, I understand the force of habit can make things a little annoying when things are changed. We hoped that it would be worth the pain with the extra level of cross pollination. Forum users reading more articles - readers contributing more in the forums. The logic is sound but the results remain to be tested.

If you're a right hander (*crosses fingers*) your mouse should rest towards the right side of screen, and so quite near the 'Forum tab' at the top right (obviously closer than the Sitepoint logo). Hopefully this will develop into a new better habit quickly and painlessly. We apologise for the intervening time ;-)

(P.S. the first part of every 'crumbtrail', just below the logo also links to SitePoint Forums)

Question: What happened to those nifty little buttons that wrote the VB code for you? I liked them.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vBCode Buttons are configurable in your user Control Panel under Options.

This means people can turn them on or off as they please.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I'd much rather a white textarea box than this green-blue-grey colour.

Also, I prefer the logo to link to sitepoint.com

In the past I have complained that it should link to sitepoint.com as it was inconvenient going to the bottom links or typing sitepoint.com into your browser to get to the main site.

To get back to the front forums page, I always clicked on "SitePoint Community Forums" next to the little arrow. That seems to be the convention in most forums.

[edit]
    By the way if you go to a branched forum like http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum...p?s=&forumid=1 there are too many columns in first row of the sub-forums table - the "Moderator" cell should be removed or the column fully inserted for us civilians.
    Last edited by mmj; Mar 28, 2001 at 21:54.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is a serious improvement in my opinion. The forums feel much more a part of the sitepoint network now.

I really like the menubar at the top as it makes changing between the bases much easier.

The icons for profile, members, etc look very nice too.

I don't mind the banner ad being where it is to be honest.

The entire forums (IMO) are much more aesthetically pleasing now.

Excellent work Wayne.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

censorship

why you censored the questions regarding the new age limit on the Community Suggestions and Feedback forum? is it how you resolve some issues? they have been all deleted!!

maybe this post next?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improvements

I have been a user of this forum for 9 months now. Untill relatively recently I wasn't even aware that it was part of a "wider network". It stands as a worthwhile site on its own.

Having said that, I am begining to delve into the other areas and they are proving very useful, even beginning to steal some of my "webmonkey" surf time.....

I think all the changes can be considered big improvements, with the exception of the colour of the box I am currently typing in!

The link to "sitepoint" is a good thing. The "complete package" is something that all users should be aware of.

(enough brown nosing - do I get a free t-shirt? )

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    overall it is okay, though even on my cable connection I feel now it loads slower.

Problems
    At the top, the row with all the vB links (fivelinks in vB1) the background is white in IE5.5, while the two images who need to make the corner are blue, but that blue is lighter than the rest of the background. There are some other small things but I guess they will be fixed soon and they aren't that prominent.

Suggestions
    The use of CSS to declare the properties of form elements is a no-no and it makes an unprofessional impression. I don't know how to explain this, but form elements rather look like Java applets being loaded than formfields. I'd suggest going back to the 'regular' form elements (but with Verdana as font). The regular form elements look much more graphic like than teh new ones, which means they look better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the new look! It's a *major* improvement over other versions... and along with vb2.0's features, SPF is incredible!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its great
    just that it has slowed down the site tremendously

now that each page is nested in a whole table
    i have to wait for the whole page to load before i can even see anything.
    in the past, the posts would load one by one, not all at once

i only have a 56k!!

it might be better to have the header as one table, the main section as another, and the footer as a 3rd table. the bluish columns at both sides can be removed as they only take up space. i would rather the white area take up 100% width.

junkyrddog's Other Half emmester's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have a 56K as well...

Anyways, how did the site used to look before?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting used to now clicking on the FORUMS logo to return to the Communuty homepage. What I think we need now is a tect link at the bottom of the pages to return to the Community home, otherwise we need to scroll to the top of the page to click on the forums logo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by boredboi
    its great
    just that it has slowed down the site tremendously

now that each page is nested in a whole table
    i have to wait for the whole page to load before i can even see anything.
    in the past, the posts would load one by one, not all at once

i only have a 56k!!

it might be better to have the header as one table, the main section as another, and the footer as a 3rd table. the bluish columns at both sides can be removed as they only take up space. i would rather the white area take up 100% width.
    Right now I am connected at 31200 Baud. It took 12 seconds to load this thread with all the options turned on. If you turn off the bandwidth hungry options like Avatars (each is allowed to be 8 K in size) then it would take even less time.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------