SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

resolution independent layout

I'm not sure where to post this, but anyway I have a problem with achieving a layout where I have three DIVs:

----------------------------------

DIV class=top

DIV class=main

DIV class=foot

I wanted a resolution independent layout whereby the top and bottom
    DIVs fit EXACTLY to the top and bottom of the page,without any scrollbars or whitesoaces. There isnt any text yet which could make it scroll. I dont have a problem with the horizontal aspect,but the vertical layout gives me a headache. maybe i need to redesign from scratch.

any helpful links or info?

thanx!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinonetic
    I'm not sure where to post this, but anyway I have a problem with achieving a layout where I have three DIVs:

I wanted a resolution independent layout whereby the top and bottom
    DIVs fit EXACTLY to the top and bottom of the page,without any scrollbars or whitesoaces. There isnt any text yet which could make it scroll. I dont have a problem with the horizontal aspect,but the vertical layout gives me a headache. maybe i need to redesign from scratch.

any helpful links or info?

thanx!
    Well, the page is the textual content of the document, not the size of your browsers viewport. Therefore you need to fake a height. Some good info can be found on ALA: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/footers/ Also make sure to read the comments.

As for the scrollbar, you can set the overflow to hidden, but this is rather evil, as users with a small viewport will get cropped content. The web is no canvas.
    Chris Heilmann
    Blog | Articles | Binaries

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    DIVs fit EXACTLY to the top and bottom of the page,without any scrollbars or whitesoaces. There isnt any text yet which could make it scroll. I dont have a problem with the horizontal aspect
    If you look in the FAQ section there is a long explanation on how to achieve 100% height and will do exactly what you want.

Have a look at my 3 col demo (sticky thread which all do this).

Don't bother with the listapart article as they get it wrong My method had been in use for some time and works well on nearly all browsers (except safari and ie mac and there are even fixes that you can do for them).

Paul

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)