0 Thread(s)
    which one is the best in the opinion of the users of this forum? thanks
    -HarryHood
    www.phatphorum.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned a lot of PHP on the web, so when it came time to get a book, most of them were over-simplified (IMHO). I did get Professional PHP Programming from Wrox, and that was pretty good.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most useful PHP book is : PHP Developers Cookbook

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks
    -HarryHood
    www.phatphorum.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the PHP books by WROX and I thought they were good. They also make good references.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the "best" book depends on the person too. it's best to sit in bookstore for four hours and sift through them all then get one. php developer cookbook helps take things another level. web application development is another good second book as it's "different." although is sounds cliche, the best book for everyone is manual, it really is. Many useful examples, lots of helpful comments ... it makes for a really great (and living!) book.
    Last edited by Philip Olson; Mar 28, 2001 at 21:45.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend "PHP Essentials" by Julie Meloni . I used "PHP Essentials" as my main book. It gets you doing neat things right away. She only burdens you with the enough explanation necessary to get you started, and then has you code things immediately. I also like to have a back up book when I learn a new language so that if something is confusing in one book, I can use the other as a reference. I use "Beginning PHP4" from Wrox Press as my reference. I think that book is great as a reference, but I noticed that after the first few chapters, the examples got so complicated, I could not figure out what was going on. Who wants a two page script that is so complex, it is impossible to follow, when what you really need is several short, clear examples to explain a concept. More complex scripts allow you to see the possibilities, but for a beginning book, you just want to know how to use the features correctly and avoid some common pitfals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what level you are at. I strongly recommend PHP Essentials if you have no previous PHP experience, but if you've already understood the basics you're best off going for something else.

Professional PHP from Wrox is a fantastic reference book, and ideal for anyone who needs something slightly more substantial.