User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry CSS: A quick fix?? (Probably not)

Hi!

I have asked this question to amny people and have got totally different answers, so I will ask here instead of my 'expert' friends.

I have a website that uses css, particularly for positioning, it works perfectly in Internet Explorer but looks totally and utterly messed up in Navigator.

I have tried placing the styles inline rather than calling them from an external .css file with some success but the Navigator pages still look horrible compared to the IE ones.

Is there an easy solution to this or do I have to go through all 40 pages and find styles for each element that look okay in both browsers? What is the secret to success here, how do people develop sites that look okay in both browsers?

A few have hinted that Tables are the answer, is this true?

You help, time and patience for this newbie are greatly appreciated!

David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Which version of Netscape? Which version of IE? We need to know what we're up against .
    2. Have you tried validating your HTML and CSS to find errors? If not, try these links on your pages and fix the errors that may show up:
    HTML validator
    CSS validator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to vinnie's statements, you would be better off desiging sites in CSS with Firefox, then fixing IE's problems. Firefox is the most compliant browser out there, IE lets you get away with things you shouldn't be allowed to get away with.

Post an addy and we'll see what we can do
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbutler
    Just to add to vinnie's statements, you would be better off desiging sites in CSS with Firefox, then fixing IE's problems. Firefox is the most compliant browser out there, IE lets you get away with things you shouldn't be allowed to get away with.

Post an addy and we'll see what we can do

Sorry people, it was stupid of me not to include the versions I am concerned with, IE6 and Nav7.2.
    This is the first website I have done, I gotta say its a hell of a lot harder to get cross browser compatability than I thought, I thought my work was done when I finished it in IE, then I tried it in Nav (an afterthought by my client) and it was unrecognisable.
    Arrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

There should be no problem getting your site to work in NN7 and ie6 except for the time it will take now that you've finished it

Its much easier to do it as you go along. I have all the major browers installed for the pc and check each section of code I do as I go along. This points outs any errors straight away and stops you building on any inconsistencies.

You should also check ie5 and 5,5, as they still have 10 times the share of the market as the other browsers.

I test on ie5, ie5.5. ,ie6, NN7, mozilla 1.2+, firefox, opera7+. (If my mac was working then I'd probably add ie5 and safari.)

If you want to post a link to one of your pages then we can work through the problems with you.

Paul