Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technical Director at StuckOn JakeCop's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavy
    Never before have so many, been blocked by so few, at the detriment of the majority, for the betterment of the minority!
    I want that phrase on a T-Shirt!

For the Dmoz editors here who defend the actions of their little faction in a 'we were only following orders' manner, could you tell me why my site was redirected to a competitor's URL, meaning searches for my site's name produced my competitor at #1 in Google?

Rather than fix the listing, or delete it as I asked, they simply renamed it to be my competitors site - thus my listing has now been assimilated into my competitor.

Could you tell me then why when I filed an abuse report it was ignored?

Please try. I'm all ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google, like yahoo will go to a paid submission, there's too much money to be made there. Then we can sing their official eulogy. Not to slam DMOZ, when they first started, they were relevant -- but now they simply just don't have the resources, infrastructure or vision to handle a directory of that size.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does DMOZ still counts?

Searching for topics regarding DMOZ submissions (yes I'm also one of the unlucky web administrators who is trying to get his site listed) I came accross this thread and was wondering what the public opinion is about the importance of DMOZ nowadays. After waiting for nearly six months and not receiving any update on my submission status I'm on the brink of giving up.

Should I even bother that my site probably won't get listed in DMOZ

Rob Nengerman
    Webmaster http://www.dutch-diagnostics.com

Thread from DMOZ forums:
    DMOZ Thread

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is to give up? You submitted your site. It is waiting to be reviewed. You are done. It will either be listed or it won't. Your only reason to think about doing anything else is if you change the site dramatically, and it is no longer appropriate for the submitted categories or is far more appropriate for another category. The only other thing to do if you want things to move faster is volunteer to be an editor.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbietobbie

Should I even bother that my site probably won't get listed in DMOZ
    I don't mean to be rude, but after glancing at your site I'd say getting in DMOZ wouldn't be my biggest concern.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by photoshopfreak
    DMOZ might aswell close, im sure it's dead
    Or not.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iFroggy
    Hey,

I do believe that most people (including DMOZ editors) are good and try, but...

Me too. I had something blatant happen to a long time DMOZ listing of mine. I had a banned slimeball user from one of my communities who tries to do what he can to hurt me/my community become an editor of one of the categories we were in. He removed my site and added his site, which does the exact same thing that mine does. It was reported, in detail. As far as I can tell, the higher ups laughed/didn't care. A friend of mine who was a long time DMOZ editor (did a great job) resigned in protest.

There are a lot of terrible human beings out there. At the end of the day, I have to laugh that someone put in that much effort to do such a thing.

But, humans just don't do it better. I'd take a machine.
    DMOZ is a crap shot for sure! Try listed your site to Zeal.com Directory I believe that is owned by Looksmart. All you have to do to submit a site is pass a 20 question quiz that is pretty easy. And you can start submitting sites left and right.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh

So what should be my biggest concern

Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    I don't mean to be rude, but after glancing at your site I'd say getting in DMOZ wouldn't be my biggest concern.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time is of the essence...

Quote Originally Posted by 2010
    What is to give up? You submitted your site. It is waiting to be reviewed. You are done. It will either be listed or it won't. Your only reason to think about doing anything else is if you change the site dramatically, and it is no longer appropriate for the submitted categories or is far more appropriate for another category. The only other thing to do if you want things to move faster is volunteer to be an editor.
    Yes I'm aware of the rules of DMOZ (wait six months before asking about your submission), what I don't get is why it may take some sites more than a year to get submitted. Does DMOZ count that much one should cross ones fingers for that long? I mean if you are starting your business and are heavily dependant on the internet (search engines etc), such a period might be proven to long.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, not trying to be rude either, but your site is full of open links and if you are making your money on building websites (for the record: I don't) this is not very professional:
    "We provide the server and admin it."
    "We develop and manage your web site."

Just a few of them to get you going:
    http://www.frixer.com/services.php
    http://www.frixer.com/about.php
    https://secure.frixer.com/

With kind regards,
    Rob

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Does DMOZ count that much one should cross ones fingers for that long?"

Submission might be added in five minutes, five years, or never. They are dealt with when a volunteer volunteers to deal with them. How long does it take for someone to volunteer to look at your website? There is no answer, and it is a waste of energy to wonder about it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point taken

"Does DMOZ count that much one should cross ones fingers for that long?"

Submission might be added in five minutes, five years, or never. They are dealt with when a volunteer volunteers to deal with them. How long does it take for someone to volunteer to look at your website? There is no answer, and it is a waste of energy to wonder about it.
    Sitepoint: Ok, point taken. I've noticed there is no editor for this section, should I try to become one or would that also be a waste of time and energy?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, here is my story which could be educational for some: i tried to get my site listed in http://dmoz.org/Business/Information...nt/Job_Search/. it was taking more than a year and no luck. note about this category: it is commercial, and there is no editor assigned)

then i realized that there was also http://dmoz.org/Computers/Open_Source/Employment/ which is very close to what my site belongs to but less so than the other category (above). note about this category: it is less commercial and there is an editor assigned to it. so i submitted the site to the second category and 3 weeks later it was accepted. i figure it would be easier for me to change the category sometime in the future than to make my way in (which could take several years or forever for a commercial category).

as far as the importance of being listed in DMOZ, i think it is still the best category to be listed in and is quite important. the reasons are: a) from what i hear google favors sites listed there and gives them extra page rank weight and b) a lot of sites use DMOZ feeds to power their directories; so being added to DMOZ means being added to tens of other directories.

best,
    james

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I've noticed there is no editor for this section, should I try to become one or would that also be a waste of time and energy?"

Assuming it is a smallish category, only with twenty or so listed sites, and you follow the guidelines and fill out the form properly, it is easily the most productive thing you can do. If it is a bigger category, then apply to a smaller one and work your way up to the one you want to be in.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming it is a smallish category, only with twenty or so listed sites, and you follow the guidelines and fill out the form properly, it is easily the most productive thing you can do. If it is a bigger category, then apply to a smaller one and work your way up to the one you want to be in.
    I've applied as an editor for the most appropriate one. It is a small category. I will keep this thread alive and inform you about my progress.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    small category is only half of the deal. you have a much better chance of being accepted if you apply for a small AND non-commercial category (personal sites, recreation, etc.). this is teh sense i got after lurking around resource-zone forums for a while.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madeonmoon
    small category is only half of the deal. you have a much better chance of being accepted if you apply for a small AND non-commercial category (personal sites, recreation, etc.). this is teh sense i got after lurking around resource-zone forums for a while.
    Just wondering if you have any idea how the procedure for becomming an editor works. Who is responsible for appointing editors?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if you have any idea how the procedure for becomming an editor works. Who is responsible for appointing editors?
    "meta" editors (whatever that means) are able to review editor applications. i guess meta editors are veteran dmoz editors. don't have any details (you can ask for them at resource-zone).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep meta editors, as a note it usually takes a few attempts to finally be accepted as an editor, read the reviews comments and act on them!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Application for becoming an editor approved

Quote Originally Posted by madeonmoon
    Just after 2 days I received a message from DMOZ that my application was approved For those of you who are curious how this story continues, I will post my findings in this thread.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, not trying to be rude either, but your site is full of open links and if you are making your money on building websites (for the record: I don't) this is not very professional:
    "We provide the server and admin it."
    "We develop and manage your web site."

Just a few of them to get you going:
    http://www.frixer.com/services.php
    http://www.frixer.com/about.php
    https://secure.frixer.com/

With kind regards,
    Rob
    Yea, I know, I changed course in the middle of making that site, and have altered my business plan a few times since then. Just needing to get on steady course before bothering to invest time in completing it.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I know, I changed course in the middle of making that site, and have altered my business plan a few times since then. Just needing to get on steady course before bothering to invest time in completing it.
    Ok fair enough. Couldn't you setup a "shadow-site" and redirect to this while working on your original one?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submitted sites last year, checked with their staff if its correct, they assured me it is.

1 Year later, still not listed..

what can i do..?

DediDirect.com || Reliable Managed Dedicated Servers

DediDirect.com || Unmetered 10MBIT, 50MBIT, 100MBIT Servers!
    DediDirect.com || Servers in USA + Europe Call 1-800-805-9543

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I officially give up with dmoz.

I been tracking the catagories that I submitted to about 3-2 years ago. Still waiting for them to even look at my site. And 2 catagories recently got editors(about a month ago) I was happy(somebody might look at my 2 of my sites) and guess what they both listed their own sites right away, and Im still waiting.