SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello fellow sitepointers

I'm looking for all webmasters/administrators to participate in this thread. It doesn't matter what your site is about, please join in anyway.

OK what i'd like to know is?

1. What client side technology (if any) do you use on your site? Please post details like what it does, where you got it, if it cost money, whether you developed it yourself, etc.

2. What server side technology (if any) do you use on your site? Please post details like what it does, where you got it, if it cost money.

3. Is your site database driven? If so, please post details about the type of database, the OS it runs on, along with other relevant info you feel needs mentioning.

4. Do you run banner ads on your site? Again, if so, please post what script/technology you use to run the ads. Where you got the script/technology, if it cost money, how many impressions can it handle, do you have a seperate server for it, etc.

5. Do you run other scripts on your site like polls, quizzes, questionnaires, surveys, rating scripts, site searching scripts, image galleries, shopping carts, auctions, counters, free email, news feeds, forums/discussion boards, chat, site recommendation scrtips or any others?

6. What free internet services (if any) do you use on your site? Why did you choose that service over others (if there were others to choose from)?

The reason i'm asking this is because i'd like to find out what are the most popular scripts webmasters use, most popular coding language, databases being used, free internet services, etc that webmasters/admins use and why.

Looking forward to your replies

P.S If you feel I left out any questions please post them also. Thanks.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few different sites, all small. The only client side technology that I can think of that I use are some javascript and Real Audio. I don't make extensive use of javascript, over all.

For server side scripts I use
    Newspro - freeware - on one site.
    A PHP news script, also free, is set up on another. I don't believe it's been used for anything as of yet, though.
    I have an Ultimate Guestbook, (Perl) on one
    and a Discus (free version) forum on another.
    One site has a pre-installed calendar script which I use and that involves perl and javascript.

I'm trying to get away from using free services, because they're either disappearing or the advertising on them is getting to be too much to have on a site, but I still use a few. I have some Bravenet forms and mailing lists, tell-a-friend scripts and like that, mostly leftover from when the sites in question were hosted on free space and I just haven't changed the scripts. And one site that is really just for fun, and where I just occupy a non-cgi enabled corner of someone's domain, I just started something that involves a Bravenet FAQ, but with the safety net that if it disappears or something the webmaster will do one for me at that site. Bravenet's ads are large but I've had very good experience with their services for a long time now. Fast and reliable.
    Come to think of it, that same site also makes use of SuperCalendar, because its cartoony icons go so well with the rest of the site.
    I use Moreover newsfeeds here and there.
    Oh, and one site uses an Atomz search engine. I sure hope that the free version of that stays around because it's great.

I've given up my EZboard, because of the issues that are going on there. I do have a coolboard on one site, but I really hate it. Just haven't gotten around to getting rid of it yet.

My sites are either personal or for very small businesses and organizations. I've used only freeware scripts and free services, so far. All I've paid for is the tools that I use and of course webhosting and domain registration. I don't run banner ads on any of them. Ummm..does that cover everything

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by KeithMcL

1. What client side technology (if any) do you use on your site? Please post details like what it does, where you got it, if it cost money, whether you developed it yourself, etc.
    We use javascript as a core client side technology, as far as form elements etc go. Client side technology dosn't work all that well, so it's a stear-clear area.

2. What server side technology (if any) do you use on your site? Please post details like what it does, where you got it, if it cost money.
    @ work, it's PHP on Apache. It does so much stuff that I couldn't even work it all out myself, and you get it @ http://www.php.net/

Personally, or when consulting I use asp - this is due to the fact that I use DreamWeaver UltraDev for rapid application development, (etc) and it's kinda easy.

3. Is your site database driven? If so, please post details about the type of database, the OS it runs on, along with other relevant info you feel needs mentioning.
    Yes. We have opted for Solid, which is a Linux platform DB. Personally, I use mySQL - again, free, and easy to use.

4. Do you run banner ads on your site? Again, if so, please post what script/technology you use to run the ads. Where you got the script/technology, if it cost money, how many impressions can it handle, do you have a seperate server for it, etc.
    Our inhouse merchant expert has built our ads system, which we use commission junction to supply. Needless to say, this isn't an easy market ATM, so you'll be hard pushed to be making many bucks from this (yet )

5. Do you run other scripts on your site like polls, quizzes, questionnaires, surveys, rating scripts, site searching scripts, image galleries, shopping carts, auctions, counters, free email, news feeds, forums/discussion boards, chat, site recommendation scrtips or any others?
    If and when we need to run another service, we would build it.

We are using vBB to provide forum software.

6. What free internet services (if any) do you use on your site? Why did you choose that service over others (if there were others to choose from)?
    We are actually hosted @ the globalnet data center (or, one of them).

The reason i'm asking this is because i'd like to find out what are the most popular scripts webmasters use, most popular coding language, databases being used, free internet services, etc that webmasters/admins use and why.
    Now, the responses I have given aren't that of the traditional smalled webmaster.. we have paid a fair bit for bandwidth, etc. What we do is offer a service for Webmasters to build their own directory (for free) - so we needed big machines to cope with it. On that note, I have heard that there are some providers willing to buy these big behemoths, and hosting several thousand users on it.

HTH...

James Cox

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JavaScript + Dynamic HTML - some cross-browser text rollovers, form validation, and any tricky (useful) effects that interest me. Nothing really superficial though. Partly developed by me, partly borrowed (read: used with permission) from other places.

PHP/MySQL. See below for details I'd like to say the hosting aspect costs money, but I have a nice network of contacts to wangle free stuff from - that's all I'll say

Yep, my main site will be DB-driven, with plans for a basic CMS based on Kevin Yank's tour de force series on PHP/MySQL. Runs on a Linux RH box, PHP 4.0.4pl1, APC cache, and most of the optional extras run.

Another site I'm planning to start up is currently running PHPNuke.

I also have access to a decent Win2000 server further up the coast should I ever need ASP sites hosted (and my business is picking up, so it will come in handy).

No, and don't intend to (unless my PHP-Nuke site becomes extremely popular and I have advertisers banging my door down - not likely! ). Banner ad clickthrough rates are appalling. If I had to do banner ads I'd use some free simple ad rotation software (again PHP/MySQL based) and do 'reciprocal' ad campaigns (I show my ad on someone else's site; this person shows my banner on his site).

Polls, quizzes, surveys, internal search engines, image galleries, counters, free e-mail, forums (PHPBB - will get vB once my business picks up and I get a few checks), chats (Java), site recommendation scripts.

Haven't quite gotten to this stage yet, but the vast majority of my scripts come from HotScripts or I have a friend build it for me.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use JavaScript in places. Free of cost, JavaScripts.com has a bunch, some we developed on our own.

PHP/MySQL on our vBulletin right now, and hopefully we can build a database-driven site this summer.

Database-driven site is on the extended to-do list for this summer.

Yes. OrbitCycle.com, a remote rotator and statistical tracker, works very well.

We use polls (A Voting Booth), site searching scripts (Atomz.com), free e-mail (BigMailBox.com), message boards (vBulletin.com), chat (QuickChat.org), a site recommendation service (Recommend-It.com), and finally a stat tracker (SiteMeter.com).

OrbitCycle banner rotator/tracker. Nothing to setup, just customize the settings and use their code. Used it for simplicity, availability, and affordability.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff used

Javascript. Often DW produced (& hence full of mm's all over the shop), sometimes personally produced (form validation etc.)

Perl (on work site). Mysql, php running on Linux box running Apache. So far all free... Have other sites using SQL server (not free) and ASP to interface (while technically free, ultradev which is used for development is not)

Pretty much answered above

no, no and a thousand times no.

Yes, surveys, searching and formmail.

For discussion boards have been using EZboard, although am currently looking at alternatives.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overawed!

Sir
    I am a pigmy compared to the ace webmasters who dwell here.
    My sites are hosted free by some good samaritans - some force ad's, some don't.
    But each day I visit my pages first thing - just to feel the heartbeats! You don't know when the FWP will either close down or shut you down - by design or error. Perhaps one becomes paranoid with this! A visit to http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/f....php?forumid=2 will prove my point.
    But still I use hosts who give perl (my own cgi bin) and/or php+MySql.
    I love to dabble with both the types of scripts though I can't write one - yet . I am using text counter, Links2, Newspro, postcard script and a couple of poll scripts to.
    Clientside: What are DynamicDrive and Javascriptsource for!
    And 24fun too.
    I am using a beautiful java applet showing an analog clock in one of my sites.
    I feel sheepish to brag here about my measly and amateurish pretences!
    Cheers!
    S.K
    Last edited by S.K; Mar 29, 2001 at 08:04.
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    client side: none except for some javascript to randomise the banner every time the page is loaded (even from cache) and to insert "add to favorites" link if the user is using IE

server side: php - articles database

database: to handle articles on the site, and members, and recent news relating to the site. soon to include interactive (add my opinion) type features.

banners: free banner exchange only. I don't get traffic yet (well - not much)

other scripts: I have a recent news script, scripts that list feature articles, most recent articles, entire lists of articles, and to display the actual article.

other: I use stats4all for tracking but I am not proud of it. It is recently very inaccurate and I am considering moving something else (although I also have my server log analyser stats).

PS all the scripting was coded by me. I didn't get any of it from free libraries or anything. It is all custom made. It's probably inefficient too, but I am willing to work on it. It works, which is good.

In fact everything - including graphics, design, javascript, database, php, is all my own work, except for some of the content which is written by various authors, and the stats4all.com
    Last edited by mmj; Mar 29, 2001 at 08:17.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff