SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased Esvon Classifieds a year ago, I thought it was quite good. The admin is decent as well.

However, I found the script quite slow. Also, I found tech support a tad poor, as they were in Latvia at the time.

Expensive, but.. it did do a solid job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Esvon is an excellent software, I wish he had more staff though... and better support, he is probably swamped with all tyhe support requests + development.
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindSP.com
    Esvon is an excellent software, I wish he had more staff though... and better support, he is probably swamped with all tyhe support requests + development.
    And this is why I would almost never buy an encoded script, ESPECIALLY one that costs $500 and extras cost a fortune. The zip code add on costs MORE than an entire zip code database itself. Having to put their name on the bottom of every page turned me off completely. It may be decent software but it's too bad that it's saddled with all this.

As a result I decided to hack deltascripts' phpclassifieds. It's superb for free but I hacked it and bought a license. Has it's share of weird quirks but it works and I got it to work nicely.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know self advertising isn't allowed so this post can be removed but I wanted to let you know about software: http://www.68classifieds.com

The purchased version isn't encrypted.
    Thanks Eric.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PhotoPost Classifieds is indeed a work in progress; it was something I originall developed for my own site ViperAlley, but got enough interest from others who asked me to release it. Based on the feedback from the first verison, we added in the ability to use zip codes for distances, a bidding system and a feedback system. The users are very much involved in helping determine which features get added - we just upgraded the vB3 integration to PhotoPost 5.03 standards.

I'm looking forward to continuing the development of this product and taking it even further.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to use check boxes in Noahs Classifieds

I have installed and am using Noahs Classifieds but am not sure of the syntax (or, how to write) the variables in the Possible Values * field for a column that has been set to a checkbox type.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the help. Probably something simple.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the deltascript php classifieds itselve is ok (free) but do NOT purchase any add-on modules from deltamods.com I purchased the e-shop MOD but it didnt work. Also there is absolutly no support... e sent tons of e-mails becuase the "Ad to Cart" button is not shown.. no replay.. and i pay $69.95 for that module. Also support for php classifieds doesnt work, even if you pay fo the script.
    Just give a look here what happens to me:
    http://www.deltascripts.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6326

I am now asking a chargeback from visa

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if they are the same as the deltascripts author. When I was there support was rather good it seemed. The developer responded to posts almost every day. I was surprised how good it was and I bought a few copies. Worked well for me although parts of the script are a little funky.
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we run a busy (2000+ items per week) classifieds site. Most of the turnkey programs got close to what we needed, but the developers were unwilling to be paid to do the customizations. Most had the same big hole - no daily updates emails. We get 80% of our traffic from the daily emails.

<soapbox> If you create a script, and someone wants to pay you very well to customize it, SAY YES!!</soapbox>

In the end, my boss took the opportunity to learn C#.NET. New version in beta now,we'll see how it goes.

From what I remember, the Noah classified script was very nice. Never got around to demoing the evson one, but it looked quite complete.

BP

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deltascripts Classifieds

I have been using DeltaScripts PHP Classifieds for a year now and other that the fact that I have to manually activate the ads as they have not quite figured out how to get paypal payment to work. I have no problems with it, I have a liscensed version and it is open script which is nice. Also have purchased several mods extra and they all work great.

Feel it is a great value compared with other options out there!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpclassifieds at deltascripts.com is the best that i could see
    http://www.travel84.com
    share your travel experiences
    Vietnam Travel Reviews, Photos, Videos

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

That's a second discussion on the classifieds software (here's the one I found previously: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153074). I am cross-posting to this one as well since it seems that the discussion is dragging its feet a bit.

I am using iAuto, the software provided by www.iautosoftware.com. I'm pretty new in the classifieds business and started my website, www.acarowner.com, just a couple of months ago (but haven't put much effort into it yet, as you may see). Initially I started off with iAuto 2.0.3, but recently upgraded to 3.0.

There's a noticeable difference in the template structure. The new version uses Smarty-based template management engine, and from the onset, the main difference is that the templates are now in a bunch of .tpl files, and there's a template folder for each of the modules (a new concept not seen in the previous version). Now I am figuring out what needs to be changed on my offline version, but overall, it's easier to make the software do what I need it do to than before.

The membership plan feature (stuff everyone's looking for as far as making money is concerned) is pretty straightforward and it could be better. I've actually talked to their support prior to the upgrade, and they are going to drastically improve the membership plans in the next version, so I personally look forward to that.

As far as price is concerned, I bought my original script for $219 (that's as much as I cared to pay for any script, Esvon and Geo were my other alternatives, but I don't care to pay that much for a new business venture without knowing for sure that it'll work out ok), and bought the upgrade to the new version for $50, but a day ago they announced the upgrades are free, so I got my $50 back! For $219, I can afford the risks involved, plus I can always get an upgrade if I need to.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

craigslist clone

these guys make custom craigslist clone type classifieds and other custom software development:

craigslist clone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a craigslist clone running here http://01classifieds.com.

if your interested in purchasing it let me know at http://www.preconfiguration.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the recommended PHP classifieds script on the market now?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joomla has a classifieds ads module

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm re-visiting the idea of opening a classified area on some of my sites. I've done it as part of a forum with VBulletin, but the ads are there forever, and it is not like a real classified.

Any tips from others who have tried to run successful classified advertising sites? Any software suggestions? I'm reviewing the suggestions from earlier in this thread, and have googled for more, but nothing stands out at this point.
    A little help please.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The search for a good general php classified script is killing me. I've put a fair amount of time into it, off and on over the last year. I have yet to find something that fits some basic needs.

The most important factors for me:
    1) Complete source code
    2) Secure! With quick response to any problems that may arise
    3) Solid SEF/SEO abilities
    4) Under $200, with no support fees or update fees or extra fees

Additionally I'd like:
    1) At least a basic template system
    2) Some kind of payment integration
    3) Just the basics, image upload, multi level categories, search functions

I didn't think it was too much to ask for but it seems I was wrong.

I thought I had settled on PHP Classifieds by DeltaScripts today but now I'm not so sure. There seems to be some serious security issues, there are some major complaints in the message boards about inability to fix long term problems, they have SEF URL's but i'd like them to be a bit more descriptive. I'd also say, for what it is providing the price is excessive.

There's no way I'll pay above $200 for one of these scripts. For one they aren't that complicated and I can even get a Microsoft operating system for less! Also, I'm not at all interested in the ones that price it cheap and then every basic addon is another $50. Further, being forced to pay for support or subscription for updates is beyond my comprehension. Especially when they're just fixing their own bad code!

So that's where I stand. If anyone knows of a nice simple script that has a solid foundation and is free or priced accordingly I'd love to hear about it. I have a sad feeling I'll be stuck programming my own over the next 5 years.

I honestly think I've looked at almost all of them so I'm not sure if there's any hope. I'm now considering Perl scripts. Are there any good classifieds in a CMS pacakge?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SitePointer View Post
    What's the recommended PHP classifieds script on the market now?
    The world will never know.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Envmar,

Any luck with your search? I am also looking for a script that is good enough to launch a paid classifieds site.

I'm comparing GeoClassifieds vs Evson now.

Any experience with them?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at www.68classifieds.com - go for the developer versionas you get full source code. It runs on Smarty templates which makes customisation a doddle, and although the default templates are table based they are easily converted to CSS.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it too much to ask for these classifieds developers to clean up their code before release???

I just purchased and installed Photopost Classifieds. Ran it through the W3C validator and the index page has 93 errors! Ran every page and they all have errors. And I'm talking about really stupid html errors, like duplicate </a></a> end tags, missing end tags for tables, rows and cells, and </form> end tags when there's no form there.

I viewed live sites for the other php classifieds apps mentioned in this thread and they're all full of these types of errors. Come on guys, this is basic web development 101 stuff. How about validating your code??? Too many developers thinking that if the browser displays the app okay, then no need to correct errors. Have a little pride in your work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I DO NOT recommend buying the Photopost Classifieds app! They use XHTML doctype, then don't bother to comply. Duplicate end tags, end tags missing for tables, rows and cells, incorrect input and image tags, span tags in the wrong place, etc. As I said in the last post, 93 errors on the index page, alone, and 30-60 errors on all the other pages (none validated). I spent 10 hours fixing 23 pages to make the pages validate in w3c. I can't believe it even displayed in a browser before all the errors were fixed. What a mess.

Now that the errors are fixed, everything tested successfully, but I'm going to watch it closely. If they're so willing to overlook simple html errors, what else have they missed?

Their support is a joke. I don't know if "extremefitness" in this thread from his 2005 post is "Chuck", their current support guy, but Chuck is rude and indifferent. Very poor customer service - he seems to take problems personally, more like the support staff for free apps, like Wordpress. Check their forum and you'll see what I mean. Even the "reviews" on their site talk about their poor support. If you pay $99 for an app, you should expect better support. I asked Chuck if he would be interested in my list of fixes to apply to their next release - thought I could at least share it with them so new users could benefit. He had the nerve to say the code was "100 percent compliant, but things do change". I won't be sharing my list of fixes with that jerk.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to use any free open source script, i have few names like Xdirectory which i have used for many clients with Plone CMS..

I have also other list of some Free Open Source Scripts which are free and can be used as standalone and having great features!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craiglist clone

I am interested in your craiglist clone. How much is it and do I get the source code?

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    I got a craigslist clone running here http://01classifieds.com.

if your interested in purchasing it let me know at http://www.preconfiguration.com