Thread: Web Design Fees

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

I'm researching info to come up with a competitive rate card for web design.

If anyone knows where I could find more information about fees charged when designing banners, buttons, web pages and anything else for the creative process...I'd be much appreciative.

From what I've read, it appears most of you out there are charging either a flat fee, or an hourly rate.

Does the complexity of design factor in: animated vs. static, or the size of a the project, small banner vs larger banner?

My only resource thus far is the Graphic Artist Guild Hand Book, but I wanted to see if this is accurate to what's going on in the industry today?

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have a good resource there. Their new version which came out last year had many updates relating to the field of web design.

I personally charge $65/hr for my time, unless the project is going to be very large. Then I get a rough average of how long it would take and then come up with a flat fee.

As for banner design, I usually budget 1.5 hours for an animated banner. Then I round it to $100. Static might only be .5 hours
    Last edited by creole; Mar 27, 2001 at 08:32.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, I look to whetehr the site is commercial/personal or non-profit.

then i'll decide my charges. I can go hourly, which would be about US$50 or more, or by site. Which ranges about US$700- US$2000. or more, depending on the scale of the project.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!
    I have been asked this before, and my answer always is: What do you think your time is worth according to your skills and your interest in the project?

If you are a student and have a lot of time, or are trying to learn and earn at the same time, then charge less because of these factors. Also, is this project of interest to you? Time moves by a lot slower for tedious, boring projects, which makes me less interested. If I am less interested, I need more of an incentive to work on something, so I charge a bit more. If the project is something that I have been wanting to do, or a charity I want to help, I will charge much less so I have a better opportunity of getting the job.

GOOD LUCK!
    Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com:
    "What other type of web business would you run?!"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'm off today to get the new Handbook. In the meantime, if anyone has any other info to share, it will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is that handbook online? URL anyone? or a URL of where to buy?

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link at Amazon for the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook of Pricing & Ethical Guidelines - 10th Edition:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...337103-6422933 ~ It says is will be published March 2001 ~ which is now.....but you can pre-order. May be available at other online book stores.....

Sounds like a good book to pick up but I imagine it gets dated rather quickly ~
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use the Amzon.com link if you want to buy the book. Here is the website for GAG.

http://www.gag.org/
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charge what you think your client is going to pay. During a meeting, have some conversation that talks about prices of something, whether it be softwares, cars, sports gear or whatever, and see your client's reaction when you talk about price. That way you get a general idea of your client's money value.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just called GAG and found out their Pricing Handbook won't be in Stores until sometime in MAY. It went to the printers this week.

Funny thing is, I went to Barnes and Noble last night and they told me that they had one in stock (2001), but I never found it!

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another website devoted to graphic design & web design pricing:

http://www.brennerbooks.com

They also have an online database you can subscribe to, giving you access to what others are charging in different geographic regions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    johntabita:
    Fantastic Info! I signed up for a sub online, I'll let everyone know if the sub is worth the $30 for 1 month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a general outlook. Keep in mind, this is a BIG generalizing, and fee's can dramatically change on the designer and requirments.

For a general e-commerce site, your looking at around $2000-$5000

For a regular personal site, your looking at no more then $2000
    Best Regards,
    Chris P. - Founder
    Sites: Funny Videos / Cooking Recipes / Free Games / Short URL's
    AIM: chrisJOKEROO | ICQ: 20762139

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prices all over the map. Here's a couple of firsthand examples from a friend of mine:

He's currently working on a site that consists of 20 pages, basic site, no e-commerce or database integration. The person who bid the job quoted $17,000 and got it. They've quoted another $20,000 minimum for e-commerce features to be added later.

Same friend won a bid on another job. His client told him that the highest quote was $10,000 and the lowest was $250.